Open-Source AMD HSA Should Come To Fruition This Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
    Doesn't the on-die GPU take up quite a bit of die space, though? Why not put say two extra CPU cores, or bigger cores on the die instead. Enthusiasts don't need the on-die GPU, do they?
    From all I've gathered, theres apparently a pretty big hit on GPGPU performance with a dedicated GPU due to the latency involved that is mitigated by having the GPU on die and sharing the same memory pool.

Why a GPU on the CPU? All the heavy lift tasks that most people do are multimedia related and GPUs are FAR better then CPUs at these tasks.

As far as gaming, I can see it having a big impact with APU assisted physics and AI calculations, where you'd still want a dedicated GPU to actually render the actual frames but the GPU portion of the APU would allow for a much more realistic world and enemies and allies that don't get stuck in corners, but instead properly hunt you down using proper squad tactics till you rage quit out of frustration because every time you try something different they out think you.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      for most people's needs the hardware encoder is more than good enough, and if you're a professional you're going to have a render farm that you've hooked maya up to.
      Sigh. "If you don't have a render farm, you're not allowed to care about quality"

Comment

Oh really? Please do point to a game other than skyrim that under real world conditions a Haswell i7 has an advantage over the FX-8350 that can actually be perceived. Also I would like to point out that under minimum requirements Battlefield 4 and other demanding games say : Core 2 duo, and for their recommended or max requirements they all say a "modern quad core".
        Dayz.

Comment

And just what real world application do you need more single thread performance for as opposed to more cores?
          GUI (GTK / Qt) applications - GTK and Qt libraries have only limited support for threads and mostly don't scale to many cores
          web browsers are multi-threaded, but one tab don't scale to many cores

Comment

Personnaly, I have a Kaveri APU and the only time I tell myself I could use some more CPU power is when doing video encoding using the CPU. Which means that more cores would be as welcomed if not more than better single thread performance.
            For the rest, I've not seen for quite a while any GUI application lagging because of lack of CPU power. Rendering also likes multi-cores and games will probably be less dependent in the future on single thread performance because of new graphic APIs like Mantle, DX12 and OpenGL-Next.
            So on the whole, for personal use, I also tend to believe that multiple cores is the way forward and single thread performance will become less and less relevant.

Comment

Originally posted by JS987 View Post
              GUI (GTK / Qt) applications - GTK and Qt libraries have only limited support for threads and mostly don't scale to many cores
              web browsers are multi-threaded, but one tab don't scale to many cores
              Oh please, the average GUI application spends almost all of it's time listening on the event loop as opposed to actually doing anything, and I don't exactly need a xeon to render QtCreator or Dolphin. Also please link to this website that you visit that demands all this performance that you need "a lot more single thread performance" than AMD currently provides. Keep in mind that if you have to draw upon sunspider or other web benchmarking sites, that you'll be proving my point for me.

@curaga,
              Oh you're allowed to care about quality, but let me ask you a question: Why is it that a render farms has thousands of cores as opposed to a small number of cores clocked to the moon? After all wouldn't that only benefit a workload that is massively multithreaded?

Comment

Originally posted by rvdboom View Post
                Personnaly, I have a Kaveri APU and the only time I tell myself I could use some more CPU power is when doing video encoding using the CPU. Which means that more cores would be as welcomed if not more than better single thread performance.
                For the rest, I've not seen for quite a while any GUI application lagging because of lack of CPU power. Rendering also likes multi-cores and games will probably be less dependent in the future on single thread performance because of new graphic APIs like Mantle, DX12 and OpenGL-Next.
                So on the whole, for personal use, I also tend to believe that multiple cores is the way forward and single thread performance will become less and less relevant.
                Multicore support in game engines was held up by the consoles. but now that the PS4 and XBone are based on 64 bit 8 core AMD APUs with GCN graphics it means that in the near future all new game engines will have much better multi core support.

Comment

I wonder how HSA will change program executions. To me it looks like it could be just another ISA, a bit like when the FP co-processor got integrated. But as x86 code and HSAIL don't share a common pipeline, it complicate quite a lot of stuff.

Comment

@curaga,
                    Oh you're allowed to care about quality, but let me ask you a question: Why is it that a render farms has thousands of cores as opposed to a small number of cores clocked to the moon? After all wouldn't that only benefit a workload that is massively multithreaded?
                    Nothing has perfect scaling, even atomic instructions used in lockless methods have overhead. Thus a 50GHz cpu would always be better than 50 1 GHz cpus in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by werfu View Post
                      I wonder how HSA will change program executions. To me it looks like it could be just another ISA, a bit like when the FP co-processor got integrated. But as x86 code and HSAIL don't share a common pipeline, it complicate quite a lot of stuff.
                      A bunch of the big names in ARM SoCs are also on board with AMD to bring it there as well. Take a look http://www.hsafoundation.com/

Comment

Working...
                      X