No announcement yet.

AMD Releases UVD Video Decode Support For R600 GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engineering makes the chips. Marketing makes the numbers. I don't know why we are even discussing this
    Test signature

Comment

We could always find out...

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      UVD 2.1 might, I'm not sure off hand.
      Speaking as an owner of a Radeon 4890HD, is there some "Voodoo code" that I could run in order to find out?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
        Speaking as an owner of a Radeon 4890HD, is there some "Voodoo code" that I could run in order to find out?
        revert this mesa patch:

and test something that uses VDPAU/GL interop.

Comment

LOL:
          "X-Video Bitstream Acceleration (XvBA) ? AMD's future hardware acceleration API for Linux/UNIX operating-system."
          (from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified...coder#See_also )

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            Engineering makes the chips. Marketing makes the numbers. I don't know why we are even discussing this
            So you want to say, AMD Marketing makes the documentation (Databook etc.)?
            The marketing people I know won't be able to write technical documents. They can't deal with registers and bits...

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
              The marketing people I know won't be able to write technical documents. They can't deal with registers and bits...
              Give me a break. Enough trolling already. In which documents the authers choose to call it out specifically and why, I don't know, but it's irrelevant. All those chips all have UVD 2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
                Why would I say that ? I said Marketing chooses the component & product model numbers that go into documentation (among other places).

Inside engineering the discussion is more about the lower level subcomponents as Christian said, and whether something is called UVD 1, UVD+, UVD2 or UVD Intercooled Turbo doesn't matter, except to the extent that the numbers provide useful names for capability flags in the code.
                Last edited by bridgman; 26 August 2014, 03:51 PM.
                Test signature

Comment

Something like what?

Sorry, that advice is too vague: I have no idea what uses VDPAU/GL interop and what doesn't. Isn't there a simple test case that you could suggest, please?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                    Sorry, that advice is too vague: I have no idea what uses VDPAU/GL interop and what doesn't. Isn't there a simple test case that you could suggest, please?
                    xbmc requires it. I'm not sure off hand what other apps use it.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisr View Post
                      "mpv --hwdec=vdpau --vo=opengl" uses interop, "mpv --hwdec=vdpau --vo=vdpau" doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                      X