No announcement yet.

AMD Releases UVD Video Decode Support For R600 GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you are using ffodivx and not ffodivxvdpau as shown in your log file: Selected video codec: ffodivx

try with -vc ffodivxvdpau

i'm using vc=ffh264vdpau,fmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau ,ffodivxvdpau, in my mplayer config file.

Comment

• Most likely he missed the correct firmware.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Most likely he missed the correct firmware.
        In the older log there was no RS780_uvd.bin

Comment

• Please remember, that it is probably necessary to buy a patent license from MPEG LA to lawfully use the UVD open source support.
          We may not like the law, but that does not mean that we could break it.

I do not know how can I get such a license, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mat2 View Post
            Please remember, that it is probably necessary to buy a patent license from MPEG LA to lawfully use the UVD open source support.
            Why? Does we all not pay for the License with the hardware?

Comment

• The software may implement third party technologies (e.g. third party
              libraries) that are not licensed to you by AMD and for which you may need
              to obtain licenses from other parties. Unless explicitly stated otherwise,
              these third party technologies are not licensed hereunder. Such third
              party technologies include, but are not limited, to H.264, MPEG-2, MPEG-4,
              AVC, and VC-1.

For MPEG-2 Encoding Products ANY USE OF THIS PRODUCT IN ANY MANNER OTHER
              THAN PERSONAL USE THAT COMPLIES WITH THE MPEG-2 STANDARD FOR ENCODING VIDEO
              INFORMATION FOR PACKAGED MEDIA IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED WITHOUT A LICENSE
              UNDER APPLICABLE PATENTS IN THE MPEG-2 PATENT PORTFOLIO, WHICH LICENSES IS
              AVAILABLE FROM MPEG LA, LLC, 6312 S. Fiddlers Green Circle, Suite 400E,
              Greenwood Village, Colorado 80111 U.S.A.
              IANAL and this is not 100% clear, but I think that the first paragraph states that licence for H.264 (among others) is necessary.
              Last edited by Mat2; 18 January 2015, 08:51 AM.

Comment

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...ocs/README.UVD

IANAL and this is not 100% clear, but I think that the first paragraph states that licence for H.264 (among others) is necessary.
                Or then you can ignore it like everyone is else and see if MPEG LA sues you

Comment

• sure but from my pov the decoding does the hardware and AMD payed for this already a fee.

Comment

• MPEG LA is only a licencing pool, it cannot sue anyone for patent infrigement.

I do not expect anyone to sue me, I just want to stay legal.

Licence for H.264 is approx. $0,20 for a device.

AFAIK not everything is processed by the hardware, some parts of H.264 are implemented in software and there is where patents can apply.

Comment

Please remember, that it is probably necessary to buy a patent license from MPEG LA to lawfully use the UVD open source support.
                      We may not like the law, but that does not mean that we could break it.

I do not know how can I get such a license, though.
                      ONLY applies to USA.

Comment

Working...
                      X