No announcement yet.

AMD Releases UVD Video Decode Support For R600 GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So can VDPAU / OpenGL interop be implemented for all UVD 2.0 cards?

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    Field vs. frame output is a mechanism of the UVD block. The 3D hardware is irrelevant.
    The comment from the source code does seem to suggest that interop is possible for RV770, which would imply that it would also be possible for other UVD 2.0 hardware too.

Comment

Originally posted by twriter View Post
      Best effort simply means we have to prioritize use of our resources. Roughly speaking, our priorities are:
      1. specific customer engagements, i.e. working with customers who are building products based on AMD hardware and the open source drivers;
      2. newer hardware;
      3. older hardware.

I don't think this is terribly surprising. We still get the occasional bug report for R100/R200 and we do investigate. We don't abandon support for older hardware but the majoriy of our development and testing is focused on newer generations (note the "s").

Our open source developers put a lot of effort into supporting the community. Case in point, we got permission for this release on Friday evening, about 6:00 PM Eastern and Christian released it Sunday morning, less than 48hrs later. Thanks Christian!

Tim
      Thank you very much for the clarification !

Comment

@twriter

It seems you have got no customers that use xserver 1.16 then, ubuntu is so nice to amd that they keep an outdated external glamor just to let fglrx work. But debian jessie/sid does not, therefore no full support for hawaii based cards. mesa 10.3 git together with an unreleased kernel can let it work a bit, but lots of (simple) games still let the xserver crash, i would say that needs much more work. And i could live with fglrx for this card if it would be available...

For older hardware vdpau would be really cool if mainlined, how about target mesa 10.3?

Comment

Possibly I am just not getting it, but I can't find a link to the patch for Mesa. Where can I get that?

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
            Possibly I am just not getting it, but I can't find a link to the patch for Mesa. Where can I get that?

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by fritsch View Post
                xbmc won't work without gl_interop anymore. The old "pixmap hack" we had until the Frodo release was not spec conform. At the beginning of uvd vdpau support (without interop) we tried to get those radeons running with the pixmap hack - but they were much too slow to render more than 20 fps in full hd that way. So basically without that interop you won't be able to play anything demanding in xbmc anyways.

Removal: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/...5f54f93a8bb301
                Interop requirement: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/ma...VDPAU.cpp#L497

Perhaps some more insight:
                VDPAU defines a presentation queue to a X11 drawable. Getting this to GL rendering is a hack. You need to define a X11 pixmap, map this to a gl pixmap, query visible, and finally render the gl pixmap <- funny, eh? :-)
                So, for Wayland, vdpau will either: 1.use xwayland apps, 2. perform the hack listed above, our 3. need to be updated?

Comment

Originally posted by siavashserver
                  @ agd5f

Sorry, I'm a bit confused here. Wasn't RV770/RV790 supposed to be UVD 2.0 capable? Seems like it's going to use same path as UVD 1.

[PATCH 4/6] drm/radeon: add UVD support for older asics v4

Code:
                  diff --git a/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/uvd_v2_2.c b/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/uvd_v2_2.c
                  index 8bfdadd..8919351 100644
                  --- a/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/uvd_v2_2.c
                  +++ b/drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/uvd_v2_2.c
                  @@ -72,6 +72,10 @@ int uvd_v2_2_resume(struct radeon_device *rdev)
                   	uint32_t chip_id, size;
                   	int r;

+	/* RV770 uses V1.0 MC */
                  +	if (rdev->family == CHIP_RV770)
                  +		return uvd_v1_0_resume(rdev);
                  +
                   	r = radeon_uvd_resume(rdev);
                   	if (r)
                   		return r;
                  As I've said previously, UVD 2.0 is more similar to UVD 1.x than it is to UVD 2.2.

Comment

Great Christian!!! mY HD3850 will be able to use this good features!!! UVD+

Comment

Originally posted by opensource View Post
                      AMD and other devs, if developing for older hardware does not help support new hardware then please don't waste your time writing code for old hardware. New and newer hardware has more users and new hardware is also faster/better. Get over it and sell your old hardware and buy new hardware (200$ extra per 3years is nothing). Intel has great open source drivers BTW, they even have a team called The Intel Open Source Technology Center. Unfortunately they don't have AM/NV like graphics cards but regarding CPU I'd buy Intel.
                      Speak for your own financial state. Some of us don't live in your world.

Actually I just replaced my lappy with some brand new hotness so I will show myself out.

Comment

Working...
                      X