Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: AMD Releases UVD Video Decode Support For R600 GPUs

Quote Originally Posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    Fair enough - I haven't used firmware with AMD chips.

In terms of "how to check that the firmware is loading", if you move/delete the firmware files and you think are loading elsewhere, the dmesg file should definitely not show the firmware has loaded successfully message...
    It doesn't have to be in the initrd, but some distro's like gentoo have the option to build firmware\microcode into the intrd. genkernel specifically gives a flag to do just that. Not only that but you also have the option to build them straight into the kernel image. make menuconfig inside /usr/src/linux and you'll find the option in there.

Quote Originally Posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    Fair enough - I haven't used firmware with AMD chips.

In terms of "how to check that the firmware is loading", if you move/delete the firmware files and you think are loading elsewhere, the dmesg file should definitely not show the firmware has loaded successfully message...
    Well, I have removed the firmware from /lib/firmware/[KERNEL]/radeon, and I receive an error, so now I'm sure about the right path.
    During the boot process RS780_pfp and RS780_me are loaded, but not RS780_uvd.

My distribution (Antix, based on Debian), use dracut so I have try do do this...

dracut --install /lib/firmware/[KERNEL]/radeon/RS780_uvd.bin --force

But also not works.

I need to recompile the liquorix kernel to load de firmware?

Default good news

I have an old ION HTPC that I need to replace and I had a spare 785G board with on board rs780 that I thought might do the job. It's close. It mostly works with VDPAU. Mostly. But my old lady and I need something _reliable_ so after a couple weeks of hassles I finally just gave up and ordered a GTX960 card (overkill, I know) so I could use those (historically at least) reliable prop VDPAU drivers.

That means the day after the package arrives, there will be an update making the free AMD drivers _perfect_. You're welcome, AMD users.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapitron View Post
    You're welcome, AMD users.
    Oh lol, I guess AMD users story should sound like that: I had ancient crap PC with GF MX440, this nvidia card sucked hard with nouvaeu and I was not able to get proprietary driver working on that crap at all. Now I probably should go buy recent PC with AMD graphics and start counter-bitching on how it beats ancient (and virtually unsupported) nvidia card, even with opensource drivers .

In short tests vdpau with amd/xbmc works fine. you can test it with Kanotix spitfire special even live (you can test vaapi on newer cards as well via fglrx/gfxdetect).

http://nightly.kanotix.acritox.com/

special has binary active if you use gfxdetect or mesa if not. xbmc preinstalled, check vdpauinfo (or vainfo for fglrx). Btw. in case of ION or older nv cards you can get vdpau working with extracted firmware (tested up to GK - kepler):

http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/...tion/#firmware

but thats a test for hd installs... Btw. special does not support gtx 960/970/980 yet because driver 340 is used by default until nvidia adds support for maxwell 2 (GM2..) or debian has 343+ with a new packaging (right now it has the same name).
    Last edited by Kano; 02-02-2015 at 05:54 AM.