AMD Releases UVD Video Decode Support For R600 GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaxxed View Post
    Speak for your own financial state. Some of us don't live in your world.

Actually I just replaced my lappy with some brand new hotness so I will show myself out.
    Not just that, but his suggestion really doesn't work -- selling hardware that is unsupported by current software. Where does the value come from for which someone would be willing to PAY you for that hardware?

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
      Field vs. frame output is a mechanism of the UVD block. The 3D hardware is irrelevant.
      Could you then clarify what this means with regard to RS780/880, since they apparently have the same UVD block as RV770/790 which apparently ... might work with GL_NV_vdpau_interop...

Comment

Rs780 uvd 2?

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
        ... RS780/880, since they apparently have the same UVD block as RV770/790 ...
        Are you sure, RS780 is UVD 2?
        RS880 is UVD 2, but RS780 is AFAIK UVD (1).

Comment

Has anybody here (except for the Devs) got it working?
          Last edited by Mat2; 26 August 2014, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Not just that, but his suggestion really doesn't work -- selling hardware that is unsupported by current software. Where does the value come from for which someone would be willing to PAY you for that hardware?
            I think the point was that most buyers would be running Windows, where the same drivers keep working pretty much forever since the ABI is stable.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
              Are you sure, RS780 is UVD 2?
              RS880 is UVD 2, but RS780 is AFAIK UVD (1).
              Ok fine, nitpick it then. RS785E is Radeon HD 4200 with UVD2.
              RS880 (880G) and RS880D (890GX) are the same as that, but they call the radeon 4250 and 4290 respectively.

Someone here, would have been Alex or John (it was a while ago) explained to me that the feature that gained these R600 (not R700 as the HD4xxx would suggest) the 4xxx title is that they have UVD2.

Comment

UVD versions for r6xx/r7xx asics:
                1.0 - RV6xx
                2.0 - RS780/RS880
                2.1 - RV770/RV790
                2.2 - RV710/RV730/RV740

I don't think UVD 2.0 supports field based decoding. UVD 2.1 might, I'm not sure off hand. UVD 2.2 and newer do.

Comment

Maybe I should explain a bit more UVD isn't a singular block. You've got a VCPU, memory controller, register bus, motion compensator etc...

Those blocks where updated separately in different UVD versions, for example UVD 1.0 (R6xx, RV515), UVD 2.0 (RS780, RS880) and UVD 2.1 (RV770, RV790) have all the same memory controller. So the different UVD versions are more or less just marketing.

Regarding GL_NV_vdpau_interop: It should actually be rather simple to implement even when UVD doesn't support it. All you need to do is using shaders to split the frame up into separate fields in vlVdpVideoSurfaceGallium (src/gallium/state_trackers/vdpau/surface.c).

Won't be fast, but indeed should work pretty well.

Christian.

Comment

Thanks Alex and Christian.

Originally posted by Deathsimple View Post
                    Regarding GL_NV_vdpau_interop: It should actually be rather simple to implement even when UVD doesn't support it. All you need to do is using shaders to split the frame up into separate fields in vlVdpVideoSurfaceGallium (src/gallium/state_trackers/vdpau/surface.c).

Won't be fast, but indeed should work pretty well.
                    So... unfortunately, even though you've pointed to a nice little structure, my knowledge of this (GL / shaders / mesa / gallium) is far far too limited for it to make any sense at all to me. I don't suppose you know someone who can make easy work of this?

Comment

... RS785E is Radeon HD 4200 with UVD2...
                      ???
                      Sure, RS785E is UVD 2, no doubt.
                      But I asked for RS780.

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      ... 2.0 - RS780/RS880 ...
                      Are you sure for the RS780 (NOT RS785E)?

Originally posted by Deathsimple View Post
                      ... UVD 2.0 (RS780, RS880) ...
                      Again: Do you really mean RS780 and not RS785E?

Comment

Working...
                      X