Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preview: OS X 10.10 Yosemite vs. Ubuntu Linux GPU Performance

Phoronix: Preview: OS X 10.10 Yosemite vs. Ubuntu Linux GPU Performance

At the request of many Phoronix readers, here's our first tests of Apple's OS X 10.10 "Yosemite" operating system as we see how the OpenGL performance compares between it and Ubuntu Linux with an updated kernel and Mesa.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

run some computacional benchmarks like h264 encoding etc and some browser javascript and html5 speed benchmarks

testing opengl games you arejust measuring intel's drivers and little else

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
      run some computacional benchmarks like h264 encoding etc and some browser javascript and html5 speed benchmarks

testing opengl games you arejust measuring intel's drivers and little else
      That's a good point but I'm not sure I want to see the results for that. I have a feeling Mac is going to destroy linux in that perspective; it might even outperform Windows.

Comment

not according to this guy and other sources I've seen:

I would really like phoronix to validate this results but they seem to test opengl and nothing else, time and time again....

Listen opengl performance is a direct result of intel not giving a shit about their linux driver's and little else can be extrapolated from that... run computational benchmarks like you have done while comparing bsd's to linux...

Comment

mac osx

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          That's a good point but I'm not sure I want to see the results for that. I have a feeling Mac is going to destroy linux in that perspective; it might even outperform Windows.
          mac osx is the worst in comput benchs is well known

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
            mac osx is the worst in comput benchs is well known
            I think it depends what kind. For things like video playback and we browser stuff, I'm sure Mac is pretty good.

Comment

I think it depends what kind. For things like video playback and we browser stuff, I'm sure Mac is pretty good.
              It is not. It is slow as mollases. It always was, it will be for ever. Check older benchmarks in the specific site and you'll see. OSX is even slower than windows.
              OSX used to be faster than Linux in games. But now since GPU drivers in Linux are in much better shape than 2-3 years before, it is faster at nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                It is not. It is slow as mollases. It always was, it will be for ever. Check older benchmarks in the specific site and you'll see. OSX is even slower than windows.
                OSX used to be faster than Linux in games. But now since GPU drivers in Linux are in much better shape than 2-3 years before, it is faster at nothing.
                I don't know, it seems to be pretty fast for me. I would bet that my OS X machine would outperform your Linux / Windows machine in every benchmark. Mind you, not running server applications, but computational benchmarks. I'm not actually going to run PTS because I refuse to have PHP installed in any way as PHP is cancer, but I have a hex-core i7, 16GB of RAM, and a pretty solid SSD with a GTX 680. VMware Fusion outperforms KVM in my practical uses and features (VMware Workstation does exist thankfully), and I'm sure that if I had Linux on my hardware I would get slightly faster disk reads and slightly better CPU scheduling, OS X still has the features I care about and it JUST WORKS. I don't have to configure it, I just turn it on, do work, then turn it off. I have yet to have one instance where it even considered getting slow.
                Last edited by jimbohale; 24 August 2014, 05:48 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't expect that at all (at least if you use chrome/chromium---ff is still using cairo on linux though you can enable skia on nightlies).
                  And the computational stuff typically does best on linux.
                  Personally, I'd love to see some native 2d benchmarks.

Comment

Doubt that

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
                    I don't know, it seems to be pretty fast for me. I would bet that my OS X machine would outperform your Linux / Windows machine in every benchmark. Mind you, not running server applications, but computational benchmarks. I'm not actually going to run PTS because I refuse to have PHP installed in any way as PHP is cancer, but I have a hex-core i7, 16GB of RAM, and a pretty solid SSD with a GTX 680. VMware Fusion outperforms KVM in my practical uses and features (VMware Workstation does exist thankfully), and I'm sure that if I had Linux on my hardware I would get slightly faster disk reads and slightly better CPU scheduling, OS X still has the features I care about and it JUST WORKS. I don't have to configure it, I just turn it on, do work, then turn it off. I have yet to have one instance where it even considered getting slow.

I really doubt that. I agree that AQUA widgets and the whole environment itself is very responsive, and animaitons are smooth as butter, but in the end it comes down to the applications you are going to use. A chrome is not going to be faster under mac than under linux, or firefox, or other applications.

And for linux in this category we got elementary OS, which is nearly as fast as AQUA widgets and environment.

I doubt that Mac will win in benchmarks, as Linux gets new graphics update all the time, and Mac OS X not. And also you got much more flexibility. There were some older benchmarks regarding intel on linux and mac, and linux won at nearly every point ;X

But still, Mac OS X is the best UNIX I know off... (also taking linux into this category)

Comment

Working...
                    X