Preview: OS X 10.10 Yosemite vs. Ubuntu Linux GPU Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gotwig View Post
    I really doubt that. I agree that AQUA widgets and the whole environment itself is very responsive, and animaitons are smooth as butter, but in the end it comes down to the applications you are going to use. A chrome is not going to be faster under mac than under linux, or firefox, or other applications.

And for linux in this category we got elementary OS, which is nearly as fast as AQUA widgets and environment.

I doubt that Mac will win in benchmarks, as Linux gets new graphics update all the time, and Mac OS X not. And also you got much more flexibility. There were some older benchmarks regarding intel on linux and mac, and linux won at nearly every point ;X

But still, Mac OS X is the best UNIX I know off... (also taking linux into this category)
    Last month, we ran WBGP VIII on a MacBook Air, representing browser performance in a native Mac environment. Today we're returning to the PC. But the cross-platform comparison theme continues with a long-overdue rematch to WBGP 2: The Linux Circuit.

Also, linux isn't a unix

Comment

Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
      I don't know, it seems to be pretty fast for me. I would bet that my OS X machine would outperform your Linux / Windows machine in every benchmark. Mind you, not running server applications, but computational benchmarks. I'm not actually going to run PTS because I refuse to have PHP installed in any way as PHP is cancer, but I have a hex-core i7, 16GB of RAM, and a pretty solid SSD with a GTX 680. VMware Fusion outperforms KVM in my practical uses and features (VMware Workstation does exist thankfully), and I'm sure that if I had Linux on my hardware I would get slightly faster disk reads and slightly better CPU scheduling,
      To be sure without testing is a bit dumb, don't you think? I'm telling you because I've tried both.
      And yes in your machine even windows Vista would feel fast but our point is not that but how it would perform against another OS.
      Check here http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...4_ubuntu&num=4
      And keep in mind that it is against Ubuntu and in a OSX optimized machine. Hell, if you throw Arch or my Gentoo on the table, the results are gonna be even more catastrophic for OSX. And as I said before, check and even older benchmarks, the same story.
      OS X still has the features I care about and it JUST WORKS. I don't have to configure it, I just turn it on, do work, then turn it off. I have yet to have one instance where it even considered getting slow.
      Well we are talking about performance here, not why you prefer OSX. "Just works" means absolutely nothing for me. Seriously. Gentoo user here.

Comment

This looks like to me game is capped at 30 fps

Comment

Here is the big question in my mind: there are a few opengl games where Mac OS X consistently out performs linux and there are some games that the reverse is true. What is sub-optimal with the Linux driver? Is it the same code path that is bottle necking the performance? Is it different code paths?

Comment

Most biased benchmark:
            -No enough hardware diversity.
            - No enough games, mostly not games using the GPU juice.

Please provide a proper review, this is beyond ridicule and manipulation. Michael Larravel, you can do it a lot better with the hardware you own.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              Most biased benchmark:
              -No enough hardware diversity.
              - No enough games, mostly not games using the GPU juice.

Please provide a proper review, this is beyond ridicule and manipulation. Michael Larravel, you can do it a lot better with the hardware you own.
              - I think the title would have been properly named as "OSX vs Ubuntu Intel GPU performance" but what other kind of hardware are you expecting? The only thing Michael can change that'd actually make a difference is the GPU, but considering Intel graphics is probably the most used on Macs, that's a good start.
              - Uh... most of the results from the games he showed didn't even reach 60FPS. While I agree more variety would be nice, I'm pretty sure the games he played used enough "GPU juice".

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                To be sure without testing is a bit dumb, don't you think? I'm telling you because I've tried both.
                And yes in your machine even windows Vista would feel fast but our point is not that but how it would perform against another OS.
                Check here http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...4_ubuntu&num=4
                And keep in mind that it is against Ubuntu and in a OSX optimized machine. Hell, if you throw Arch or my Gentoo on the table, the results are gonna be even more catastrophic for OSX. And as I said before, check and even older benchmarks, the same story.

Well we are talking about performance here, not why you prefer OSX. "Just works" means absolutely nothing for me. Seriously. Gentoo user here.
                I have tested both, and I get 60 FPS flatlined on both platforms. I get the same disk performance, and I can run a lot more applications on OS X simultaneously without it getting sluggish.

Comment

I get the same disk performance
                  You had said before that you think with Linux you'd get faster disk reads...
                  and I can run a lot more applications on OS X simultaneously without it getting sluggish.
                  A lot more means nothing. What applications are these? What scheduler do you use? What distro are we talking about? What...?

Comment

I don't know, it seems to be pretty fast for me. I would bet that my OS X machine would outperform your Linux / Windows machine in every benchmark.
                    Really? Every benchmark?
                    So if you compare your puny desktop to the quad E5-4657L w/ 512GB RAM 120GbE DPI beast I'm currently using as my Fedora "workstation", you'll win each and every benchmark? Really?

This has got to down as the dumbest statement I ever seen in Phoronix forums and God knows this is nothing to sneeze at.
                    Last edited by gilboa; 27 August 2014, 01:53 AM.
                    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
                    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
                    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
                    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by Pallidus View Post
                      run some computacional benchmarks like h264 encoding etc and some browser javascript and html5 speed benchmarks

testing opengl games you arejust measuring intel's drivers and little else
                      I agree those will be interesting, but the title does SAY that it's a GPU test...

(Personally I'd call it a GL gaming test...

Apple's first priority for the GPU is how it handles the visual underpinnings of the entire OS --- composition, blending, core Animation, that sort of thing. That's hard to benchmark, but I expect THAT was what Apple optimized for Yosemite, especially with all the blending in the new UI.

To the extent that Apple cares about games, they've always been future driven, not past driven. I've said before that my theory as to why Metal is not available for Yosemite is that Apple is giving Khronos one last chance to get their act together with GL5. If that's delayed, or sucks (at least by Apple's standards) I expect they will release Metal for OSX and encourage devs to switch to it. If it doesn't suck, then they'll move to it soon. Either way, their GL codebase is currently in a holding pattern, and I don't expect it ever to be improved much; they'll jump straight to 5 as a clean start.)

Comment

Working...
                      X