ARM Talks Up Wayland For Mali

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
    So when is the day that I can buy an ARM ultrabook and use my favorite DE on it?
    That is, when there are good enough GPU (and everything else as well) FOSS drivers for at least one of those SoCs?
    You could build your own RPi powered laptop with fullhd graphics?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      This is targeted at the server crowd afai understand. Is there going to be commoner HW?
      I don't know of any plans to, and that's likely because consumer software is still largely single-threaded and responds to fast individual cores, which is exactly what ARM sucks at compared to existing desktop hardware.

It's useful in servers because things like apache run very well on it.

Comment

So when is the day that I can buy an ARM ultrabook and use my favorite DE on it?
        That is, when there are good enough GPU (and everything else as well) FOSS drivers for at least one of those SoCs?
        You can do that now. I know some folks who run fedora on (arm) Chromebooks.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
          I don't know of any plans to, and that's likely because consumer software is still largely single-threaded and responds to fast individual cores, which is exactly what ARM sucks at compared to existing desktop hardware.

It's useful in servers because things like apache run very well on it.
          Many parts of consumer software could be parallelized even on x86 / ARM. Of course you don't need to accelerate stuff that does already run sequentially. Quite many apps actually run just fine on a single 1.5 GHz arm cortex core. Many apps could benefit a lot from ARM SoC with GPU and 4-8 cores. Too bad this is not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            You can do that now. I know some folks who run fedora on (arm) Chromebooks.
            But not with open source drivers.

Comment

Well, there is freedreno which (IMHO) runs pretty well on any adreno 3xx generation device (ie. any recent snapdragon).. and you don't even need a bleeding-edge mesa (10.2 will do). The rest of the kernel situation for snapdragon has lagged behind compared to some of the other SoC's, but has made a lot of progress in the last couple months. I can run upstream kernel plus ~20-30 patches on my ifc6410, for example.

The upstream kernel situation seems to be pretty good on freescale imx6 and etnaviv is looking pretty good too.. still missing upstream gpu driver and DDX, but work is underway on both, so I expect good things in the relatively near future. Hopefully once the dust settles on this we can get the etnaviv gallium driver into upstream mesa, which will make life easier for distro's.

Anholt is making fast progress on vc4.. so for r-pi I guess things will be usable in another month or two.

And of course, with the new tegra k1, nouveau is already up and running, and the nvidia arm crew has been doing a good job with getting upstream kernel situation sorted.

Ofc, as is the case w/ FOSS graphics, there is always more to do.. but the situation for FOSS arm graphics is looking pretty good. Much less dire than it was a couple years ago.

On phones/tablets, compared to dev boards, the situation is a bit worse. But that is mostly because android lags on kernel version. Plus bonkers vendor kernel branches. Eventually as android rebases and starts to inherit all of the recent upstream kernel work on arm, this will improve.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
                But not with open source drivers.
                Yeah. Sadly, that's true
                IIRC, they're all exynos (but not mali).

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                  Yeah. Sadly, that's true
                  IIRC, they're all exynos (but not mali).
                  There's a Chromebook with a TK1 now.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                    There's a Chromebook with a TK1 now.
                    You're right! Thanks for the correction.
                    It looks like they're all Acer and 32bit. I hope they bring out Denver in various form factors soon. I'd love to play around with the new isa, not to mention the dynamic, native code optimization tech they licensed from transmeta. Those old transmeta chips were long gone before I got involved with programming: (

Comment

If someone could introduce me to gfx driver development ... my software development experience thus far has been limited to application development (especially web development).
                      Also: did the Lima project move or why were neither the website (limadriver.org) nor the gitorious repo updated after mid-2013?
                      Try asking at their irc. #lima on Freenode.

Comment

Working...
                      X