No announcement yet.

The Widely-Criticized New Commercial Linux Distro Is Now On Kickstarter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In pursuit of ad revenue Phoronix gives publicity to this failure of a project from some high school kid. Seriously Michael, you have no shame :P

Comment

One word: nope.

More words: This is going to go absolutely nowhere as it should. There's no sign that anyone on this team have contributed anything to Open Source outside of whatever the hell you want to call this thing. Why would anyone in their right mind donate to this? The right thing to do -- assuming they actually raise $50,000 -- would be to take all of that money, and donate it to a more worthy project. Like the Arch Linux project. Are they not the ones doing all the work that give Operating System U legs to even stand on? This reeks of someone who just wants $50,000 to pocket without actually doing any work.

Summarized words: If you have money kicking around in your pocket that you feel the need to donate, donate it elsewhere to a project that's actually been around longer and has proven itself useful and an actual real thing.

*drops mic*

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
        Those poor, delusional college kids.. oh well, at the very least they'll have something to write on their CV later on.
        The CEO is 17 - likely not even out of highschool yet.

Comment

Originally posted by gutigen View Post
          In pursuit of ad revenue Phoronix gives publicity to this failure of a project from some high school kid. Seriously Michael, you have no shame :P
          And like in many other stories he publishes he tried to publish quickly resulting in errors:
          compton is a compositor not a window manager as Michael claims. I first thought the error was on the kickstarter page, but they correctly call compton a compositor.
          So Michael should do his homework before bashing projects he does not like.

(BTW.: that poor quality most articles have is the reason why I have adblock enabled on phoronix.)

Comment

Originally posted by medzernik View Post
            Isn't that the exact same...

Oh my god.
            Would there be anything wrong in picking a laptop model from China and then making sure the sw+drivers work as well on it as possible? That's basically system76.

Not what these guys are doing mind you, but in general

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Would there be anything wrong in picking a laptop model from China and then making sure the sw+drivers work as well on it as possible? That's basically system76.

Not what these guys are doing mind you, but in general
              Actually now that i think about it, it isn't that bad. I am just sceptical towards that project. We'll see what it turns out to be.

Comment

One single 16j. old, probably to finance his first car...

Comment

system76 laptops (at least most of them) are Clevo - and those guys make laptop barebones that can be branded and equipped with various parts (it's not usual to have a laptop with replaceable CPU or GPU ).

Comment

operating system U, my ass... the same applies for their "Ubook go".
                    this is a ripp-off project in fact.

I am running Manjaro (Arch based) on a Acer C710 and my setup (4GB RAM/500GB HDD) beats the crap out of their "great ultraportable"

Comment

looks like mint

anyway is good for people to make mistakes early in life !!! you go kid !

Comment

Working...
                      X