Steam Now Supports VA-API For In-Home Game Streaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Julius View Post
    I assume Nvidia is using some relatively standard transfer type, and I remeber that originally there was some talk of Steam using the same system as Nvidia Shield. But even if only Nvidia, I see no reason why Steam couln't support it if a Nvidia card is in the system.
    One restricted properitary system supports another properitary system that is even more restricted. What a wonderful new Linux world. . .

Comment

Originally posted by Kemosabe View Post
      One restricted properitary system supports another properitary system that is even more restricted. What a wonderful new Linux world. . .
      Those restricted proprietary system benefit development of open source drivers and software, so why is that bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
        OT: Im not very Happy about the Quality of Streaming. I tryed to Play Borderlands 2 over the Network. On The Host i can Play the game with all Settings on high with 1920x1080. But if i Stream it, its unplayable. I have to reduce the resolution to 1280x720 and set some settings to medium but then its playable with around 30 fps.

The host is a i5-3570k with a HD 7850.
        converting the game to (I asume) h264 takes considerable gpu performance, are you sure you computer is fast enough for the game in that resolution and converting simultaneously? An interesting test would be to play a light game like team fortres 2 in the same resolution and see if that works. If it works than the problem was performance on the host side, because the workload on the client side should be the same using the same resolution. I'm interested in the outcome. Going to install windows this weekend specially for this feature, hope I can sleep after doing that.
        Last edited by tmpdir; 22 August 2014, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rikkinho View Post
          this feature rocks, using a good desktop in my office and a simply laptop with a tv
          Ehm... the downside is that this "good desktop" must be running cough.. windows... cough

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
            converting the game to (I asume) h264 takes considerable gpu performance, are you sure you computer is fast enough for the game in that resolution and converting simultaneously?
            Yes. 2 cores are idling and the Host has the Hardware encoder available that Steam use for in-house streaming.

Comment

Yes. 2 cores are idling and the Host has the Hardware encoder available that Steam use for in-house streaming.
              What about the GPU? the videostream is converted using the GPU.

Comment

Originally posted by tmpdir View Post
                What about the GPU? the videostream is converted using the GPU.
                The GPU has a dedicated Video encoder.

Comment

The GPU has a dedicated Video encoder.
                  sure, but how is the gpu performance compared to the situation without streaming?

Installing windows at this moment , wanna test it on my rig.

You probably seen this entry already, just to be sure:

How do I diagnose streaming performance problems?

You can look in logs\streaming_log.txt on the remote computer after you play a game to get a detailed breakdown of how much time was spent in each component of the streaming system.
                  While the game is running, you can hit F6 or the Guide button combined with the Y button on your game controller to turn on live statistics for the session. While the statistics are visible the game collects more detailed information which is saved in logs\SteamVideoTrace.txt and logs\SteamAudioTrace.txt at the end of the session.
                  While the statistics are visible, you can hit F8 or the Guide button combined with the X button on your game controller to save a screenshot and 10 seconds worth of stats to a zip file in the streaming directory in the Steam folder on the remote computer.
                  There is a good article on how to interpret the log information here:http://steamcommunity.com/groups/hom...3523404402134/

Last edited by tmpdir; 22 August 2014, 10:37 AM.

Comment

The New Stream shows that he is not using the Hardware encoder. He use x264 on 2 threads. but there is no error that shows a problem.

Comment

Looks like that Valve dont support AMDs VCE. Only Nvidias and Intels Hardware Encoder.

Comment

Working...
                      X