Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OSS radeon driver for A10-7850K (Kaveri)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. Saw those, but with nomodeset they aren't much use since the radeon stack is disabled and you're just running the fbdev X driver over the efifb kernel driver. Goal here is to understand what happens when you boot normally.

Don't bother running debug verbose glxgears on that configuration, without the radeon kernel driver you won't get acceleration.
    Test signature

Comment

All right, I posted the results from LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo 2>&1 to the same ubuntu paste site as the rest, id 8122620. The rest of the logs (Xorg, dmesg, uname, lsb_release, etc) are the same. If you need more just let me know. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by splice42 View Post
        All right, I posted the results from LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose glxinfo 2>&1 to the same ubuntu paste site as the rest, id 8122620. The rest of the logs (Xorg, dmesg, uname, lsb_release, etc) are the same. If you need more just let me know. Thanks.
        libGL: screen 0 does not appear to be DRI3 capable
        libGL: screen 0 does not appear to be DRI2 capable
        libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/tls/swrast_dri.so
        libGL: OpenDriver: trying /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/swrast_dri.so
        libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/splice/.drirc: No such file or directory.
        libGL: Can't open configuration file /home/splice/.drirc: No such file or directory.
        Thanks -- looks like those might have been done with modesetting disabled as well ? First step has to be understanding why you need to disable modesetting...

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        Don't bother running debug verbose glxgears on that configuration, without the radeon kernel driver you won't get acceleration.
        Test signature

Comment

Thanks -- looks like those might have been done with modesetting disabled as well ? First step has to be understanding why you need to disable modesetting...
          Modesetting wasn't disabled that I know of. I made sure it wasn't disabled in /etc/default/grub.conf, which is where I set it myself. Is there a way to confirm that the kernel option isn't set or to forcefully enable it? I've booted it again and here are the relevant logfiles:

dmesg: 8122992
          Xorg.0.log: 8122996
          glxinfo: 8123002
          inxi -SGC: 8123006

I note that dmesg says that kernel modesetting is enabled, and so does Xorg.0.log.

Comment

Excellent, thanks. Looking at them now.
            Test signature

Comment

OK, those seem to be with 3.16 kernel (rather than 3.13.whatever in Ubuntu 14.04). Kernel modesetting definitely seems to be working but X startup still fails.

I see the following ACPI messages in your log which seem to be related to kernel gfx driver but my (working) Kaveri system shows them as well so I think we can ignore those.

[ 2.999415] ACPI Error: [\_SB_.ALIB] Namespace lookup failure, AE_NOT_FOUND (20140424/psargs-359)
              [ 2.999424] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCI0.VGA_.ATC0] (Node ffff88023a840190), AE_NOT_FOUND (20140424/psparse-536)
              [ 2.999431] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed [\_SB_.PCI0.VGA_.ATCS] (Node ffff88023a840168), AE_NOT_FOUND (20140424/psparse-536)
              Everything else looks fine other than the failure during X startup. Is there some issue I"m missing that lets you create logs with a 3.16 kernel but not with the stock kernel ? I'm trying to understand what the issue is with a vanilla install image since that was pretty heavily tested.
              Test signature

Comment

I can go with stock kernel, sure. Just assuming 3.16 would be better, but I also did upgrade my 3.13 kernel a bit from vanilla I think... Should still have the old images available though. Let me rollback the changes quickly and see.

Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.11-03131102-generic
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.13.11-03131102-generic
                Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.4-031304-generic
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.13.4-031304-generic
                Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.13.0-24-generic
                Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.13.0-24-generic

I'll use the 3.13.11 for now unless you ask me otherwise.

EDIT: Ah, right, I can't boot the vanilla kernel/3.13 series without nomodeset. Startup hang. I can't get the logs because of that. So if I disable modesetting, the logs aren't of interest because it's using vesa, but if I don't disable it, I get a startup crash and no access to logs.
                Last edited by splice42; 23 August 2014, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Ahh, now I think I understand. The startup crash you get with the vanilla 14.04 CD is different from the X problems you are seeing with 3.16 (and capturing in logs) ?

Can you maybe describe it a bit ? You put the 14.04 CD in, you boot from it, what happens then ?
                  Test signature

Comment

Ahh, now I think I understand. The startup crash you get with the vanilla 14.04 CD is different from the X problems you are seeing with 3.16 (and capturing in logs) ?

Can you maybe describe it a bit ? You put the 14.04 CD in, you boot from it, what happens then ?
                    Yes, they are 2 different issues. 3.13 kernel exhibits a startup crash when modesetting is not disabled. 3.16 boots with modesetting OK, but it's X that crashes instead.

With the 14.04 LiveCD, from boot, I get the text-mode grub menu with "Try Ubuntu without installing", which I choose. The screen goes black, there are 3 contrast changes (slightly darker black, slightly lighter black, slightly darker black flash), and that's all she wrote. No activity, numlock on keyboard is stuck on, no apparent reaction to keyboard.
                    Last edited by splice42; 23 August 2014, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X