Thread: Intel Sandy Bridge Gains On Linux 3.17 Extend Beyond Graphics

Default Intel Sandy Bridge Gains On Linux 3.17 Extend Beyond Graphics

Phoronix: Intel Sandy Bridge Gains On Linux 3.17 Extend Beyond Graphics

Yesterday I shared some benchmarks showing Intel Sandy Bridge HD Graphics performance increasing on Linux 3.17 for this several year old architecture. This came as a surprise but the good news is the performance improvements on this new Linux kernel don't stop with OpenGL but extend to CPU performance too...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc2OTQ

Default But what did they do in cpu side?

But what did they do in cpu side?

Michael,

could you also do a comparision on IDLE power consumption? Especially on mobile systems it would be very interesting to see if the new kernel does a better job in handling the power consumption of the cpu and gpu. My T440p for example still draws twice as much power than unter windows 8.1 when idle. Thanks!

I have a Question here, what's missing to Sandy Bridge driver to get opengl 3.3 complete? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gufide View Post
    I have a Question here, what's missing to Sandy Bridge driver to get opengl 3.3 complete? Thanks
    Geometry Shaders is the last thing for 3.3 on sandy bridge, I believe... There's a patch series on the mesa-dev list which adds those and bumps Sandy Bridge to GL 3.2. The discussion on the list also indicates that 3.3 is possibly as simple as flipping a switch to turn it on.

As a Sandry Bridge user you had my curiosity, but now, you have my attention.