LinuxCon: What's Going On With Fedora.Next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mattdm View Post
    Of course. We're just targeting Workstation at a specific set of end users. That doesn't mean that it won't be good for regular users. It's just indicative of our focus: where we'll prioritize feedback, how we'll measure success, etc. "All end users" is too big be useful in that way.

We'll also provide non-workstation desktop spins at the current (or better!) quality, including different desktop technologies like KDE and Xfce. (No one has stepped up to really work on a non-workstation Gnome spin, but that would be possible too.)
    What I am hoping for is a version for the general public that we can recommend to people instead of Ubuntu. Fedora overall feels more solid than Ubuntu now but there are still certain aspects that can get in the way for the general public. An example I can think of is the inability to start Steam in Big Picture Mode on Fedora 20 without first turning off SELinux. Obviously, installing codecs and binary drivers is another major issue for the general public.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
      What I am hoping for is a version for the general public that we can recommend to people instead of Ubuntu. Fedora overall feels more solid than Ubuntu now but there are still certain aspects that can get in the way for the general public. <b>An example I can think of is the inability to start Steam in Big Picture Mode on Fedora 20 without first turning off SELinux. Obviously, installing codecs and binary drivers is another major issue for the general public</b>.
      Neither can be solved by Fedora.
      The first (Steam) can only be solved by steam.
      The second (codecs) can only be solved when the legal issues are resolved.
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
        Neither can be solved by Fedora.
        The first (Steam) can only be solved by steam.
        The second (codecs) can only be solved when the legal issues are resolved.
        2nd one can be solved with korora for quite a while. don't know how .Next will affect that... or if it will.

Originally posted by Stellarwind View Post
        You can use Qubes OS if you need that kind of security.
        that's not even remotely related to what i asked about and not really interesting. let's forget i said security is not really important to me for what i want to play with while knowing project is in unfinished state

i was asking about specific project that is in the works.

note that this post already states more or less all subproject states, well everything but amount of inclusion in F21
        Last edited by justmy2cents; 24 August 2014, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
          2nd one can be solved with korora for quite a while. don't know how .Next will affect that... or if it will.
          Korona != Fedora. Konoroa isn't tied to Fedora's legal obligations and policies in any way.
          oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
          oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
          oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
          Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

A Fedora Remix from Russian Fedora (Yandex)

Full Fedora 20, with the extras, including codecs, chromium, and more

It boots with the Fedora logos and all.

I standardized on this remix

Comment

Working...
            X