Canonical Joined The Khronos Group To Help Mir/Wayland Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Szzz View Post
    MS Office native format is open and it supports format used by Open/LibreOffice
    Well, if you create a document that conforms to the standard it wont open in Word...

Comment

They pitched in so that someone does Mir integration work for them, like they hoped to happen with Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
        i'm guessing 2 weeks... then Mark announces they are working on Sputnik (aka, new GL) since Khronos doesn't work on acceptable standard for Canonical
        Wasn't Sputnik supposed to be first?-) I wish Canonical would already admit the mistake and just stick to Wayland development. But I guess they are too far ahead with Mir dependency to start reworking their projects now, and now they are simply stuck until things with Mir would go too sour to continue.

Comment

Originally posted by Szzz View Post
          MS Office native format is open and it supports format used by Open/LibreOffice
          I would like you to read those :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_POI https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/LibreOffice_OOXML

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            But I guess they are too far ahead with Mir dependency to start reworking their projects now.
            Well they eventually abandoned Upstart and they had been using that for how long?

Comment

Originally posted by Vidar View Post
              Well they eventually abandoned Upstart and they had been using that for how long?
              After much deciding back and forth. And it was only because Debian rejected it. Mir wasn't even interesting for Debian to begin with, so the situation there is different. I still hope that the lack of general adoption and tons of unreasonable overhead for developers of drivers and toolkits will stop this, but so far Canoical didn't come to such realization.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajn View Post
                Well, if you create a document that conforms to the standard it wont open in Word...
                Up until Office 2013, yes. They switched over to the actual standard with 2013 http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08...rict_open_xml/

Comment

Wayland is a protocol.
                  Mir is a Display Server.
                  Wayland is not a Display Server.

Mir is more correctly compared against KWin (KDE), Mutter (Gnome), and Weston.

Theoretically I think Mir could be Wayland protocol compatible if they chose to write that code.

3 years of reading about Canonical vs Wayland and everyone's panties in a wad is getting old.

I applaud the creation of open software: Pantheon, KDE, Gnome, Cinnamon, MATE, LXDE, RazorQt, Firefox, Chromium, etc...

All of us should be on the same side and applaud new free open creations, it's rediculous to create so many divisions and try to defame X company because they choose to create Y software that we feel shouldn't exist. You know what? In Apple & Microsoft's perfect world - Linux wouldn't exist! Lets not adopt their bad thinking, freedom to choose is good.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post
                    Wayland is a protocol.
                    Mir is a Display Server.
                    Wayland is not a Display Server.

Mir is more correctly compared against KWin (KDE), Mutter (Gnome), and Weston.

Theoretically I think Mir could be Wayland protocol compatible if they chose to write that code.

3 years of reading about Canonical vs Wayland and everyone's panties in a wad is getting old.

I applaud the creation of open software: Pantheon, KDE, Gnome, Cinnamon, MATE, LXDE, RazorQt, Firefox, Chromium, etc...

All of us should be on the same side and applaud new free open creations, it's rediculous to create so many divisions and try to defame X company because they choose to create Y software that we feel shouldn't exist. You know what? In Apple & Microsoft's perfect world - Linux wouldn't exist! Lets not adopt their bad thinking, freedom to choose is good.
                    What you are saying would be true if Canonical:
                    * actually brought some real advantage with Mir, or
                    * made Mir follow the standard, or
                    * add a wayland-mir translation layer to enable wayland apps to run on Mir or vice versa, or
                    * updated existing apps and desktop environments to support Mir as well.
                    Unfortunately, Canonical did nothing from the above and left it up to the community to sort out the mess and make sure Ubuntu is compatible with non-Ubuntu Linux. So, in short: Yes, Mir should just die because it's negatively affecting everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                      * actually brought some real advantage with Mir, or
                      I have more faith on MIR then i have with wayland, this MY chooise.
                      Also there are some Key differences betwen the two of them, been pointed out 999 before.

* made Mir follow the standard, or
                      Dosent it??? Who said so???
                      Moust likly yourself but its ok for you to have your opinion just dont say it like a fact.

* add a wayland-mir translation layer to enable wayland apps to run on Mir or vice versa, or
                      WHY?! that would just add overhead, instead let the toolkit handle it and never worry about it (unless you make the toolkits OFC...).

* updated existing apps and desktop environments to support Mir as well.
                      They're updating THEYR apps and THEYR environments (unity).
                      Other stuff is not theyr place to update, they can help but, 1: Port the toolkit and moust of the apps work just fine (like GTK has been ported and you can run it under native mir) 2: if your using custom hacks and stuff its your job to update it not canonical 3: games will also just.

Comment

Working...
                      X