Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Joined The Khronos Group To Help Mir/Wayland Drivers

Phoronix: Canonical Joined The Khronos Group To Help Mir/Wayland Drivers

Canonical, the company behind Ubuntu Linux, has joined the Khronos Group to help push open, cross-platform, industry-standard APIs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Isn't EGL good enough?

Comment

Remember that Canonical developed Mir, in order to unify their Desktop/Mobile efforts, I saw this " Wayland reached 1.0 maturity in 2012, and since then has shipped in millions of smart TVs, set-top boxes, IVI systems, and more", in that site: http://community.arm.com/groups/arm-...-siggraph-2014

WTF Canonical?

Comment

Do they even have the knowledge to actuallyl benefit anyone? I'm guessing this is some PR stunt.

Comment

Yeah ... right, since it comes from a company that suffers from an NIH complex let me fix that for you:

However, Oliver Ries, the Head of Engineering Product Strategy at Canonical, wrote into Phoronix that they joined the group for pushing their display server agenda with trying to work towards an underlying driver standard for Mir. Oli noted in his email, "Canonical has joined Khronos in order to help establish the necessary driver standard that is required for Mir to succeed. We have specifically contributed to the current standard proposal/draft.

Comment

That flame war between mir and wayland makes no sense :

I've just read a thread about Munich's future IT-plans and I came accross comments saying that the biggest issue with linux in the office is the lack of MS-office formats compatibility.
            A reader was also pointing to this uk gov document > https://www.gov.uk/government/news/o...eet-user-needs

Because MS doesn't use open formats, they create unfair monopoly since the users are bound to their office suite.

Now on topic. If Khronos and Canonical cooperate with others to create an open standard to access the needed functions on GPU's for the graphic server (driver independent) and everyone follows them , then mir/wayland and maybe a future solution will have the same chances to succeed and numerical darwinism will operate

openness of a system yaknow (no sh*tty MS business model) :]

Comment

i'm guessing 2 weeks... then Mark announces they are working on Sputnik (aka, new GL) since Khronos doesn't work on acceptable standard for Canonical

still, as positive as other GL news were lately... this surely takes away the mood

Comment

Wayland has succeeded seeing how it's in tv's, phones, desktops, tablets, car's, and more Wtf? are they talking about help wayland succeed it is far past that

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  Isn't EGL good enough?
                  No, Wayland need extensions on top of EGL and I guess the same is true for Mir.

Originally posted by migizi View Post
                  Do they even have the knowledge to actuallyl benefit anyone? I'm guessing this is some PR stunt.
                  Canonicals projects have been praised for its code quality, in the Upstart vs SystemD debate even the SystemD fans
                  praised upstarts code quality. Also they now have the rare knowledge of writing a displayserver.

Comment

Originally posted by indri apollo View Post
                    Because MS doesn't use open formats, they create unfair monopoly since the users are bound to their office suite.
                    MS Office native format is open and it supports format used by Open/LibreOffice

Comment

Working...
                    X