Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jonnor View Post
    Which bugreport is this tracked in?
    Several, seems most severe with the nvidia proprietary (raises hand) but it occurs on other display drivers. In older versions of GS, it used to cap out at around 500mb, which is pretty damn big IMO for a desktop shell but I could deal with it.. nowadays.. it just keeps going and going and going..

There are others: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.c...2++memory+leak

Long story short on this one this bug, which is now worse than ever for me in 3.12.. gnome shell continues to consume more and more memory with usage (ie: go to activites increases memory usage of gnome-shell 1-2mb each time), it basically continues to use memory and never will free any memory from the process. If you let it go long enough, say a few days of uptime it will easily climb over 2gb of ram usage for the gnome-shell process and then performance hits start in (I have 16GB of ram in my computer). Apparently it's a lot worse with the nvidia proprietary driver, I am not sure why exactly. Some of the other reasons given for the memory increase with usage is the fact javascript just has terrible garbage collection and perhaps was a poor technology to build a desktop shell upon.

I hope it is eventually resolved because it's a bit crazy for gnome-shell memory usage to climb forever until you finally log out or alt+r and restart it.. and no it's not extensions, I've test it with no extensions and the default theme -- still happens.

Comment

Still occurs in 3.12, seems worse with the nVidia proprietary driver but it appears to happen no matter what your display driver is. Every interaction with gnome shell (ie activities) makes the gnome shell process climb 1-2mb and it never tops out, I've had my gnome-shell process exceed 2gb.

There is also a HUGE memory leak with changing desktop backgrounds, 200mb+ memory jump when switching a background.. that memory is never freed either. It's like gnome-shell process has no garbage collection what so ever, idk if it's a technical issue with javascript or what.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelSerious View Post
        I wonder if 3.14 will address the "memory leak" in gnome-shell once and for all.. seeing the process hit 2gb and having to alt+r every day to make my desktop usable again is kind of a bummer...
        Must be one of your extensions. Gnome shell 3.12 is running happily for weeks @office without a leak (ArchLinux)

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post
          Must be one of your extensions. Gnome shell 3.12 is running happily for weeks @office without a leak (ArchLinux)
          I don't use any extensions and still have memory creep. But wait, did you really thought its that simple?

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
            I don't use any extensions and still have memory creep. But wait, did you really thought its that simple?
            Yeah I run Arch with a vanilla Gnome 3 desktop freshly installed without any extensions and no, it is not that simple. The memory creep is there and worse than ever. I use nVidia proprietary drivers and I hear the issue is worse with these drivers but the memory creep isn't exclusive to using nVidia drivers.

Now if you log out and back in, the memory goes back to 'normal' which is about 165mb for me (this seems high to earlier versions of GS), if I alt+r, it will go reset as well but again, it isn't too long before it's 500mb+ and after a day or two, you're looking at 2gb.. which is insane.

I live with it, I don't want to gripe too much about it. I am sure it's a complicated or it would have been resolved by now. It's really a terrible issue though that never seems to get fixed though.

Comment

Working...
            X