Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: AMD's Catalyst Linux Driver Preparing For A World Without An X Server?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,659

    Default AMD's Catalyst Linux Driver Preparing For A World Without An X Server?

    Phoronix: AMD's Catalyst Linux Driver Preparing For A World Without An X Server?

    AMD's proprietary Catalyst Linux driver installer is interestingly being prepared for an environment without an X.Org Server...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc2ODU

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Christ on a bike! Are AMD ahead of Nvidia?

    If you compiled catalyst with no X, would that prevent you from using XWayland does anyone know?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    Christ on a bike! Are AMD ahead of Nvidia?
    Nah...
    I really wish they were though. Being a arch user is a nightmare if I want to use catalyst because they're so slooow at updating. If only AMD just fused both open source and closed drivers together to create a frankenstein driver with bleeding edge support and great 3D performance I wouldn't think twice when buying a new GPU. Until that happens, however, I'm going with NVIDIA.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaprikawn View Post
    If you compiled catalyst with no X, would that prevent you from using XWayland does anyone know?
    I am not sure, but I think you would still be able to use XWayland, because it uses the in-tree Glamor "DDX", which is not truly device-dependent. From http://wayland.freedesktop.org/xserver.html:

    XWayland support has been merged in the master X.Org branch on April 4th, 2014, and is first released with xserver 1.16. The separate X.Org video DDXes are not needed anymore.
    Do not take my word, however.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    284

    Default

    A bit too late, no? they should have had this when virtual coin miners were buying AMD GPUs like crazy... Of course someone will use it in the future, but, come on, it's 2014 and they just started separating the driver from the graphics part...
    You know why nVidia has an advantage to AMD? It's because they say they are a *software* company that just happens to make hardware... That, while AMD seems to be quite a mess internally (firing engineers after a few years, rehiring them when things go wrong, etc.).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Posts
    2,668

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vidar View Post
    Nah...
    I really wish they were though. Being a arch user is a nightmare if I want to use catalyst because they're so slooow at updating. If only AMD just fused both open source and closed drivers together to create a frankenstein driver with bleeding edge support and great 3D performance I wouldn't think twice when buying a new GPU. Until that happens, however, I'm going with NVIDIA.
    Be aware, that if you are calling out to turn or make AMD opensource driver into Frankenstein, than you will be very much upvoted for inquisition, because the said driver is working perfectly in 3D and 2D for *many* AMD cards and is reason why some people buy AMD TODAY thank you very much.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Porto
    Posts
    275

    Default more and less

    Quote Originally Posted by brosis View Post
    Be aware, that if you are calling out to turn or make AMD opensource driver into Frankenstein, than you will be very much upvoted for inquisition, because the said driver is working perfectly in 3D and 2D for *many* AMD cards and is reason why some people buy AMD TODAY thank you very much.
    more and less, the performance is not so good

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rikkinho View Post
    more and less, the performance is not so good
    It is for r600, and it keeps improving...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Porto
    Posts
    275

    Default r600

    Quote Originally Posted by asdfblah View Post
    It is for r600, and it keeps improving...
    r600 is for old cards

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •