Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Open-Source Radeon Graphics Have Some Improvements On Linux 3.17

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    14,799

    Default Open-Source Radeon Graphics Have Some Improvements On Linux 3.17

    Phoronix: Open-Source Radeon Graphics Have Some Improvements On Linux 3.17

    Early benchmarking of the Linux 3.17 kernel have indicated faster performance for AMD's open-source Linux graphics driver thanks to Radeon DRM improvements.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20782

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    111

    Default

    I guess these improvements won't help r600 anymore (or any future improvement)
    But this is great news

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edoantonioco View Post
    I guess these improvements won't help r600 anymore (or any future improvement)
    But this is great news
    Why wouldn't they? Support for uncached gart pages, for example, can have positive performance implications for all asics that support it which includes older asics.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edoantonioco View Post
    I guess these improvements won't help r600 anymore (or any future improvement)
    But this is great news
    Several of the improvements definitely target r600 hardware (and above).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    933

    Default

    It targets ONLY r600 because radeonsi is in an unusable state right now: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79980
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkbasic View Post
    It targets ONLY r600 because radeonsi is in an unusable state right now: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79980
    Hmmm...does this bug manifest itself as a black screen with error messages (relating to some soft lockups) imediately after you boot into your DE?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adriannho View Post
    Hmmm...does this bug manifest itself as a black screen with error messages (relating to some soft lockups) imediately after you boot into your DE?
    I saw this bug report for the first time on this thread, but I've been experiencing it for a while on two machines with radeonsi cards.

    Google Chrome seem to trigger it quite quickly on one machine running Gnome. The other machine is triggered less easily. This bug makes productive use of the computer much more difficult. In general, the machine which runs Gnome is triggered more easily than the machine running AwesomeWM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Kansas.
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Hearing obout this bug is very disturbing. Is it present in the 3.16 kernel as well?

    Very worried as all the distros will likely be upgrading to 3.16 or 3.17 soon.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ua=42 View Post
    Hearing obout this bug is very disturbing. Is it present in the 3.16 kernel as well?

    Very worried as all the distros will likely be upgrading to 3.16 or 3.17 soon.
    Every kernel release above 3.15 is affected. (we could be lucky and receive a fix prior to 3.17 final release date thouh).
    See bug report page for details.
    Also, you could manually install a kernel (from 3.15 above) and see if you too are affected.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Nice to have improvements but please could one of the devs fix the flickering when uvd is changing clock speeds. Also i think it would be nice if the message in the journal is shorter when this happens.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •