Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open-Source Radeon Graphics Have Some Improvements On Linux 3.17

Default Open-Source Radeon Graphics Have Some Improvements On Linux 3.17

Phoronix: Open-Source Radeon Graphics Have Some Improvements On Linux 3.17

Early benchmarking of the Linux 3.17 kernel have indicated faster performance for AMD's open-source Linux graphics driver thanks to Radeon DRM improvements.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20782

I guess these improvements won't help r600 anymore (or any future improvement)
    But this is great news

Quote Originally Posted by edoantonioco View Post
    But this is great news
    Why wouldn't they? Support for uncached gart pages, for example, can have positive performance implications for all asics that support it which includes older asics.

Quote Originally Posted by edoantonioco View Post
    But this is great news
    Several of the improvements definitely target r600 hardware (and above).

It targets ONLY r600 because radeonsi is in an unusable state right now: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79980

Quote Originally Posted by darkbasic View Post
    It targets ONLY r600 because radeonsi is in an unusable state right now: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=79980
    Hmmm...does this bug manifest itself as a black screen with error messages (relating to some soft lockups) imediately after you boot into your DE?

Quote Originally Posted by Adriannho View Post
    Hmmm...does this bug manifest itself as a black screen with error messages (relating to some soft lockups) imediately after you boot into your DE?
    I saw this bug report for the first time on this thread, but I've been experiencing it for a while on two machines with radeonsi cards.

Google Chrome seem to trigger it quite quickly on one machine running Gnome. The other machine is triggered less easily. This bug makes productive use of the computer much more difficult. In general, the machine which runs Gnome is triggered more easily than the machine running AwesomeWM.

Hearing obout this bug is very disturbing. Is it present in the 3.16 kernel as well?

Very worried as all the distros will likely be upgrading to 3.16 or 3.17 soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ua=42 View Post
    Hearing obout this bug is very disturbing. Is it present in the 3.16 kernel as well?

Very worried as all the distros will likely be upgrading to 3.16 or 3.17 soon.
    Every kernel release above 3.15 is affected. (we could be lucky and receive a fix prior to 3.17 final release date thouh).
    See bug report page for details.
    Also, you could manually install a kernel (from 3.15 above) and see if you too are affected.

Nice to have improvements but please could one of the devs fix the flickering when uvd is changing clock speeds. Also i think it would be nice if the message in the journal is shorter when this happens.