No announcement yet.

Systemd 216 Piles On More Features, Aims For New User-Space VT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not directly opposed to systemd-ish features. It's just that to me it seems that the systemd developers are wreckless. They seem to be building, or going in the direction of, a monolithic OS where all software won't be portable later on.

Also there are serious security issues in the linux kernel which is why there is a need for something like Genode and why software shouldn't be locked into the "systemd os".
    Last edited by DoctorWho; 22 August 2014, 06:12 AM.

Comment

I wonder if systemd is not some secret plot by Microsoft to transform UNIX/Linux more into Windows. Let me know when systemd comes with a registry!

Jokes aside, it works great so far and of course does not need a M$ license.

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
        I wonder if systemd is not some secret plot by Microsoft to transform UNIX/Linux more into Windows. Let me know when systemd comes with a registry!

Jokes aside, it works great so far and of course does not need a M$ license.
        I wonder when systemd will be integrated into the kernel, then the systemd monster will finally be full.

Comment

The guy at this site makes some good points http://boycottsystemd.org/

Comment

Haven't read the whole article but another good criticism of systemd http://ewontfix.com/14

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorWho View Post
              I wonder when systemd will be integrated into the kernel, then the systemd monster will finally be full.
              Why so sad, Doctor Who? Did somebody mistake your TARDIS for a toilet?!

The time the kernel used to be monolithic is long gone. And a kernel is meant only to interface between the hardware and the system software to keep as many of the implementation details away from the system software.

And System V init has not suddenly disappeared but it will still be good enough for servers with uptimes of weeks and months. Only for all the little devices that get turned on and off several times a day does it need something better.

You cannot be serious when you want your mobile phone or tablet to be stuck in init for 15-20 seconds each time you turn it on.

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                DEs are useless without applications, mate.

---

Why oh why every time I post on Phoronix forums it feels like I'm talking to a bunch of total retards...
                Before you call us "retards", maybe you should put your brain on. All those DEs have applications. I'm using Xfce without problems. I'm even using some GNOME apps. The GNOME apps themselves are not dependant on systemd-logind.
                For claiming to be a prodigy, you are quite slow.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorWho View Post
                  As soon as kdbus is in mainline kernel (systemd developers control D-Bus project).

Comment

Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
                    As soon as kdbus is in mainline kernel (systemd developers control D-Bus project).
                    You mean: Linus controls the DBUS project. The userspace thingy is only very small.

Comment

• Originally posted by oleid View Post
                      You mean: Linus controls the DBUS project. The userspace thingy is only very small.
                      /sigh
                      Do you even know what D-Bus is?

---

Anyway, systemd isn't about overtaking the kernel. Red Hat decided to do it Google way. Why control the kernel when you can control everything else and the latter is far more profitable?
                      Last edited by prodigy_; 22 August 2014, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X