• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by prodigy_ View Post
    /sigh
    Do you even know what D-Bus is?

---

Anyway, systemd isn't about overtaking the kernel. Red Hat decided to do it Google way. Why control the kernel when you can control everything else and the latter is far more profitable?
    Sure, and BSD owns the Internet, because BSD invented network sockets...

You need to get laid and loose your virginity, son.

Comment

As soon as kdbus is in mainline kernel (systemd developers control D-Bus project).
      Afaik systemd devs don't control dbus, they just control kdbus (kernel module) and userspace for it (sd-bus layer) that is intended to replace dbus.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoctorWho View Post
        I'm not directly opposed to systemd-ish features. It's just that to me it seems that the systemd developers are wreckless. They seem to be building, or going in the direction of, a monolithic OS where all software won't be portable later on.

Also there are serious security issues in the linux kernel which is why there is a need for something like Genode and why software shouldn't be locked into the "systemd os".

Are you seriously suggesting that Linux should stop making progress so that commercial, proprietary OS's like Genode will have an easier time leeching Linux software?

Systemd is a major leap forward for Linux, which is why it has already been embraced by almost the entire Linux industry. If anybody wants to use Linux specific software on non-Linux platforms they better conform to how Linux is working. Demanding that Linux should halt development and kindly ask permission from commercial non-linux companies to make progress is utterly insane.

As it is now, Linux is converging to systemd on a massive, industry wide scale. Companies leeching Linux software to their non-Linux platforms just have to deal with that.

People who wants to use Linux without systemd just have to start coding to make that a future possibility.

Comment

• >>http://boycottsystemd.org/<<

He's right, my journal got corrupted just last week.

Taking into accout the leadership of systemd, and the bloat, and the many devs working on it, I predict there will eventually be some dev disillusionment and it will be forked into several smaller projects/pieces. That would be a good thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by slojam View Post
            >>http://boycottsystemd.org/<<

He's right, my journal got corrupted just last week.

Taking into accout the leadership of systemd, and the bloat, and the many devs working on it, I predict there will eventually be some dev disillusionment and it will be forked into several smaller projects/pieces. That would be a good thing.
            journald files are zero separated entries, + index. They don't corrupt any differently than text logs (that are \r values separated entries, without index).
            Have you tried reading the file like that?
            journalctl --file=<filename that was corrupted>

Comment

• Originally posted by slojam View Post
              Don't hold your breath before you take into account the complexity of the task and the terrible state of documentation.

Systemd works like a mousetrap - the door seems to be open and there's some cheese inside. Then you realize you have no way out.
              Last edited by prodigy_; 22 August 2014, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Systemd works like a mousetrap - the door seems to be open and there's some cheese inside. Then you realize you have no way out.
                Here is a hint for you: try to to describe your personal nightmares like they were out of a dark, fictional cyberpunk future. That way you can sell it later as a novel and get Keanu Reeves to play the lead role in it. However, your cheese, mouse and trap story won't get anyone hooked. Not even viewers of Teletubbies. Keep that in mind and keep trying. Good luck!

Comment

/sigh
                  Do you even know what D-Bus is?
                  obviously better than you do. What's wrong with my statement?

Comment

• udev should be removed at least until it has reached a usable state. The very last thing Linux needs are more bugs.

Comment

• Originally posted by mike4 View Post
                      *snip*.
                      Dude, stop... seriously. Go complain on the udev mailing list or something if you really want to complain about it. I'm pretty sure if you had actually spent the time debugging your issue that you currently spend whining in systemd threads that this could have been done and solved by now. Nobody here wants to hear it, nobody here cares, and if you continue on with this it may not be today, it may not be tomorrow, it may not be for a few months but you will find yourself banned.

Comment

Working...
                      X