Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead Island For Linux Appears Imminent

Default Dead Island For Linux Appears Imminent

Phoronix: Dead Island For Linux Appears Imminent

Dead Island is a action role-playing game developed by Techland for all major platforms and is based on a zombie-infested open world island. There's been talk of a potential Linux port and it looks like it might finally be materializing for Linux gamers...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc2NzY

Wow. Really *really* did not expect that one. Will be buying. I keep getting blind sided by these games coming out where I was almost for sure they company would not do it. It often changes my opinion of them and at least gives them a chance to be reputable

The "Steam Community posting" is about Dead Island: Epidemic, which is a different game.

There are also rumours Dead Island might be ported by Virtual Programming (who did The Witcher 2), so wait for the reviews before buying it!

Quote Originally Posted by stqn View Post
    The "Steam Community posting" is about Dead Island: Epidemic, which is a different game.

There are also rumours Dead Island might be ported by Virtual Programming (who did The Witcher 2), so wait for the reviews before buying it!
    It wouldn't surprise me... I was fearing this would be the case once I saw this game show up in my list.

I'm personally not really a fan of Dead Island. I got the game really cheap through some Humble Bundle or some random Steam sale. But if it came to Linux, I'd actually play it.

Quote Originally Posted by stqn View Post

Good point. I'm still rather upset at the mindset of the VPL team who seem to just blame things on OpenGL rather than limitations of the eON wrapper or their inadequate OGL renderer. Their wording about it is sloppy as well, sometimes correlating Linux to their supposed OpenGL problems even when that isn't really what they mean.

Still, The Witcher 2 is getting better. Using recent 4.5 OGL driver from Nvidia and recent release, I can play the game 40~60 FPS (without vsync), even though that's not even 50% of what it should be.

DI is first person game as far as i recall the game that steam post directs to... well... somehow... feels different. well, off course it does since it is not the same game

Yes, Wine has proven way superior to eON. We shouldn't bash Wine as much as we do. It probably has the best D3D-OGL translation layer out there.

As long as Techland games are getting ported to Linux, how about Call of Juarez: Gunslinger? I'd buy that in a heartbeat were it to come out for the penguin.

I have Dead Island on W32. It was okay. Some things were a bit repetitive and it had some weaknesses but also good sides. I just hope they won't mess up the Linux port.

the game is boring and crazy repetitive, you realize the broken and unpolished mechanics within a few hours. same for DIR, and probably DI2 aswell. don't fall for this junk, get Borderlands 1 or 2 cheap instead.