Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LXQt 0.8 Is Being Released Soon

Phoronix: LXQt 0.8 Is Being Released Soon

Fans of LXQt, the merge of the Qt version of LXDE along with the Razor-qt desktop project, will soon see out a big update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

XFCE replacement

LXQt will probably be the replacement of (the now defunct) XFCE.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
      Well, XFCE is working just fine with me, and there really isn't much more to ask for.
      Granted, development has been a bit on the slow side, but I think "defunct" is really
      a hyperbole. You don't fix what ain't broken. On the other side, LXQt looks great.
      Unless you need RandR

Comment

Anyone try it with Wayland instead of X?

Comment

I haven't. But they have finished porting everything to QT5 which works with wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
            I haven't. But they have finished porting everything to QT5 which works with wayland.
            Thanks.
            Yeah, this will be interesting for low-latency and low memory, like for ARM embedded systems.

Comment

While I think "defunct" is over the top, I share the frustration over their slow development pace.
              I still mostly use GTK applications, and as long as that's true I probably will stay on Xfce. But LXQt is my stop if that changes.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                Holding back the LXQt 0.8 release is finishing the language translations and figuring out what to do about their RandR utility.
                Throw it away and use a Qt-only version of KScreen.

Comment

Actually, there has been some development activity on Xfce components this summer, especially on xfce4-power-manager (it now supports systemd and upower>=0.99) and mousepad, and lots of bug fixes elsewhere.

Xfce 4.12 should be released by the end of the year : https://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce...ne/030772.html.
                  Still no GTK3 migration, though (not before 4.14 release).

Comment

Originally posted by arrow View Post
                    Thanks.
                    Yeah, this will be interesting for low-latency and low memory, like for ARM embedded systems.
                    I would love to test, but to be honest: I'm too lazy to compile QtWayland myself :-) and the Debian/Ubuntu world doesn't provide it in the repos.*

*As I am working on some things for Lubuntu with LXQt, it wouldn't help me much testing it on, say, Arch.

Comment

Working...
                    X