Linux 3.17 Lands Memfd, A KDBUS Prerequisite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jacob View Post
    If only it used just sockets! Dbus also runs as a process, imagine that!
    It's written using a programming language! Oh the horror!

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
      no arguing with irrationality..

someone better not tell 'em that dbus uses sockets, lest they try to build a kernel without socket support :-P
      That would certainly help keeping the noise level down in the forums...

Comment

Originally posted by dvdhrm View Post
        memfd has nothing to do with kdbus except that kdbus happens to use it. For details, see:
        For 4 months now we’ve been hacking on a new syscall for the linux-kernel, called memfd_create. The intention is to provide an easy way to get a file-descriptor for anonymous memory, without …
        Thanks for the links it was interesting and it seems like a nice feature.

Comment

D-Bus is not a problem by itself. What I don't like is that kdbus/systemd is choking off what I used to like about GNU/Linux, namely its simplicity and fine control. Hence why I and several others use BSD and in my case, commercial UNIX now.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamBlackFox View Post
            D-Bus is not a problem by itself. What I don't like is that kdbus/systemd is choking off what I used to like about GNU/Linux, namely its simplicity and fine control. Hence why I and several others use BSD and in my case, commercial UNIX now.
            It's good that you have options and ultimately everyone should be happy then. Purely out of curiosity, which UNIX are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
              It's good that you have options and ultimately everyone should be happy then. Purely out of curiosity, which UNIX are you using?

IRIX for my IRIX boxes, but I've worked with Solaris and UNIXWare. Can't say I like either of them as much as IRIX. Really wish SGI would BSD license the system at the EOL

Comment

Working...
              X