X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnome Flashback not even close to MATE or GNOME 2

Originally posted by BoPieds View Post
    Yes technologically speaking. But in practice the two are almost identical
    The GNOME 3 version of gnome-panel took out almost all the configurablity of the GNOME 2 panel, it is very stripped down, probably as it was only intended as a fallback environment. I do not use it even as a fallback, but do use MATE in older machines as it has the full feature set from GNOME 2.

Comment

Isn't it strange that Canonical bastardized Kubuntu, yet they're now adding all these other spin-offs?

Comment

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
        I think this is great as MATE would be a great GNOME replacement if they can get it working. I took the latest MATE for a spin when I moved to 14.04 but it doesn't really work with my chosen programs as well as I'd hoped. pSensor and Gnome MPlayer won't work under the latest MATE release and other software was pretty shaky. I'm stuck with Unity for the time being.
        Well that's disappointing as I was looking to give MATE a try when I upgrade to 14.04.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
          Well that's disappointing as I was looking to give MATE a try when I upgrade to 14.04.
          The only Desktop I've gotten to work right - relatively speaking - has been Unity with KDE a close second. None of the Gnome options are up to snuff on 14.04, as far as my own setup goes.

Comment

Cinnamon works well, try distros using your favorite DE by default if issues

Originally posted by TheLexMachine View Post
            I think this is great as MATE would be a great GNOME replacement if they can get it working. I took the latest MATE for a spin when I moved to 14.04 but it doesn't really work with my chosen programs as well as I'd hoped. pSensor and Gnome MPlayer won't work under the latest MATE release and other software was pretty shaky. I'm stuck with Unity for the time being.
            On a fresh install, consider picking a distro that uses your preferred DE as its default and if possible as its flagship if you are having issues. Mint is based on Ubuntu but offers Cinnamon, MATE, and XFCE as DE's. Mint with MATE might be set up enough differently than Ubuntu with MATE to solve your problems, or you can try different programs entirely, such as using MPV rather than gnome-mplayer if click to play without a drag and drop DE is enough. In my experience gnome-mplayer has worked in all DE's I've tried, including the IceWM desktop on my netbook.

So far, I've had no trouble running anything in Cinnamon except for the usual alpha version bugs that come and go when working with pre-release stuff.

Comment

Working...
            X