Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Viber 4.2 Finally Released For Linux

Phoronix: Viber 4.2 Finally Released For Linux

Several Phoronix readers have written in this weekend to share that the Viber Linux client is finally up to par with the Windows version...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

More importantly how many backdoors does Viber contain? Or it just sends its traffic via NSA HQs? I guess the latter. Why bother with hidden features, when you can sniff everything?

Comment

Seems like a better alternative to Skype overall but I don't know anybody who uses it so I think I'll pass.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
        More importantly how many backdoors does Viber contain? Or it just sends its traffic via NSA HQs? I guess the latter. Why bother with hidden features, when you can sniff everything?
        If there was ever case for open source, it is definitely for applications like this. Why would anyone sane expose his security for such trivial application ?

Comment

working great but there is one problem
          using ubuntu 14.04 with unity and the viber icon is on the top left corner right over the close icon of windows
          seems like a known bug with qt but can't find a solution

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            More importantly how many backdoors does Viber contain?
            But, it has nice stickers! Install the blob anyway to get the stickers!

Seriously:
            switch to something with an open standard, like XMPP/Jabber. Use OTR over it whenever both end-points can.

Comment

Originally posted by DrYak View Post
              switch to something with an open standard, like XMPP/Jabber. Use OTR over it whenever both end-points can.

Tox is also on the right direction : https://tox.im/

Comment

Yay finally! I actually contacted them recently about this and they promised an update very soon. Can't fault their customer service guys.

Seriously:
                Brilliant, now try getting a normal person (i.e. not nerds like us) to setup a Jabber client on their phone/tablet/PC and enable OTR on it. Their response will be "yer what?". Believe it or not, user experience is quite important for users and the open-source choices simply don't yet deliver. For sensitive communications, yes I'll choose to use OTR, but for everyday messaging to friends, clients like WhatsApp and Viber are much easier to use and don't piss off regular people.

Comment

Seriously:
                  switch? why? nobody use this freaky apps, the majority of people use what's app, viber, line, skype etc, is a waste of time the use of others apps if nobody use it.

Comment

essential information that is missing from the article:

what the fuck IS viber?

what does viber do?

what makes it different/better than its competition?

and

does anybody actually use that crap?

The last point is almost the most important one. Nobody I know has ever heard that name before.

Comment

Working...
                    X