No announcement yet.

AMD Offers Mantle For OpenGL-Next, Pushes Mantle To Workstations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another great move from AMD. I am totally happy to have supported them (as far as a poor person like me could) since the early Athlon/Duron times and I will continue to do so.
    Indeed, it took some time here and there until we had a smooth performance (free drivers). But which city in the world was built in one day alone?

AMD supported Linux/FOSS in the past, made GPU specs available, is coreboot supporter and now hands out Mantle specs/APIs. I can't complain.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

It is great to see AMD letting Khronos see their Mantle Specification even if the Mantle Spec is INCOMPLETE. Which I think most people don't seem to understand Mantle is not complete hence AMD has not released the spec for open source use. AMD is working with game developers to complete the spec they opened up access to select groups of people recently to get a larger amount of feedback. I don't expect to see Mantle show up on Linux/Mac etc until they finish the Specification, Win Drivers, and API. This is a lot of work.

I see some people comparing this to CUDA. That is ridiculous CUDA is over 7 years in the making. It was released officially back in 2007. It was probably in development beginning in 2004/2005. Mantle was announced late last year and was released in beta in Feb of this year. Mind you Beta not a full release this isn't even comparable to CUDA 1.0. Much less the current CUDA 6.5 (Compute layer 5). How open Mantle will be should not be an issue until AMD officially decides Mantle is ready for 1.0. Besides programming a Linux Mantle driver for a moving specification would be kinda stupid not to mention of PITA.

Comment

Originally posted by caqde View Post
        It is great to see AMD letting Khronos see their Mantle Specification even if the Mantle Spec is INCOMPLETE. Which I think most people don't seem to understand Mantle is not complete hence AMD has not released the spec for open source use. AMD is working with game developers to complete the spec they opened up access to select groups of people recently to get a larger amount of feedback. I don't expect to see Mantle show up on Linux/Mac etc until they finish the Specification, Win Drivers, and API. This is a lot of work.

I see some people comparing this to CUDA. That is ridiculous CUDA is over 7 years in the making. It was released officially back in 2007. It was probably in development beginning in 2004/2005. Mantle was announced late last year and was released in beta in Feb of this year. Mind you Beta not a full release this isn't even comparable to CUDA 1.0. Much less the current CUDA 6.5 (Compute layer 5). How open Mantle will be should not be an issue until AMD officially decides Mantle is ready for 1.0. Besides programming a Linux Mantle driver for a moving specification would be kinda stupid not to mention of PITA.
        Well, AMD Mantle marketing seems to work quite well. You totally swallowed it.

Just think for a moment. If the spec is incomplete, how is it possible that there are 3 games out there using it, with a fourth pending and over twenty? in the pipeline. What changes to Mantle would be possible at this point at all, without breaking the stuff that is there, already using the spec?

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
          Well, AMD Mantle marketing seems to work quite well. You totally swallowed it.

Just think for a moment. If the spec is incomplete, how is it possible that there are 3 games out there using it, with a fourth pending and over twenty? in the pipeline. What changes to Mantle would be possible at this point at all, without breaking the stuff that is there, already using the spec?
          Because the game's port to Mantle is *optional*, maybe that's why?
          EA clearly won't drop the DirectX API..

All in all, it allows game developers to take some lead on the future techs, it allows AMD to stabilize their API and to have more "market share": it's a win-win situation here. So please, don't tell us to think like if we were retards... gosh..

Comment

My reply might be a bit offensive, I apologize for that.

Comment

Working...
            X