No announcement yet.

Fedora 21 Was Just Delayed By Another Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be nice to see more progress CLang builds of the kernel.

Just a thought, the tools in the LLVM/CLang suite would help strengthen up the kernel. Beyond that we might see real developer productivity improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      3.16 for sure, 3.17 possibly. Keep in mind Fedora has no problems updating the kernel post-release so no matter what they ship with you will eventually get the newer kernel as long as your release is supported.
      That was just my thought, I calculated it, most kernel releases took around 2 months + a week except 3.13 which took a week longer, 3.12 took even only 2 months.

so 3.17 should been released somewhere from 1.-15. October wehn fedora hits a month later I am 99.999% shure they will ship it.

I am no fedora expert, but for stable releases they dont need a month to update their releases a month, they belive that they cant compete in bugfixing with the big kernel team, so they ship very early compared to most other distros the newer kernels.

Ok I googled it, they did release Fedora 20 with kernel 3.11 even 3.12 was out 1.5 months. So they like to use old kernels for releases just to upgrade it on every machine in the first week. Makes not much sense to me, but ok maybe its better to be able to boot the installer on higher percentage of the machines and then after the first update thye break instead of the installer does not boot.

Or they need 2 months to update their installer to be run on the new kernel? Again makes not much sense for me, but that does not matter... they seem to stick with older kernels for release.

Except they changed their policies or the 3.16 kernel or 3.16 is not compatible with the newest mesa version they want to ship, or they have a few weeks more delay, they will most likely stick to 3.16. Thats btw more important question which mesa version do they ship because they dont update mesa inbetween releases.

Btw when is 3.16 comming to fc20, thought the other kernels came few weeks after release.
      Last edited by blackiwid; 14 August 2014, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        so 3.17 should been released somewhere from 1.-15. October wehn fedora hits a month later I am 99.999% shure they will ship it.
        they will have freeze by then. my bet is they will ship with 3.16 and with 3.17 ready in updates

Comment

Originally posted by by.peroux View Post
          From official AMD website.

So using the .run with a fresh kernel it at your own risk.

RPM Fusion used to update it's amd kmod stuff after every kernel update which was pretty usefull.

I used Fedora since Fedora 16 with the rpm amd driver from rpmfusion without any issue. However, with Fedora 19 the driver didn't worked fine with several games , so I skiped this version. Fedora 20 wasn't even supported on rpmfusion. Since january and of life of Fedora 18 I just ended up by switching distro.
          It is AMD's fault for the sorry state of their crapalyst driver. I suffered for a long time, but finally bought an NVidia card. I havent edited xorg.conf in such a long time that it feels good :-)

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
            they will have freeze by then. my bet is they will ship with 3.16 and with 3.17 ready in updates
            hmm maybe u could read my full comment before u answer But ok u basicly agreed to what I predicted thats worth something, too

Comment

Originally posted by hubick View Post
              Oh, yeah, I've tried debugging and forcing modelines and all that for years. I can get it working at half-resolution, but for it's native 2560x1600 it requires the dual-link DVI bandwidth, and I don't think the open driver is properly initializing the hardware for that second link on most cards.
              Have you ever tried to use display port?

Comment

Working...
              X