Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenROAD: Showing Off All The Khronos APIs

Phoronix: OpenROAD: Showing Off All The Khronos APIs

The Khronos Group released OpenROAD today at SIGGRAPH 2014 showing off all of their cross-platform, industry-standard APIs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The problem is only a handful of these are implemented by vendors in hardware. OpenGL has a hard time of its own. OpenCL is on the backburner, EGL is just starting and isn't used for it's original intent (I'm not really sure in what context (no pun intended) the description provided in the video could be used). Everything else is generally a third thought, not even a second thought. Even when Something like EGL is heavily adopted, people will still insist on using libraries such as GLX and WGL, even though they both make my cry every time I look at them, making it just as difficult to implement, if not more so.

/rant

Comment

More great work from the Khronos group. Now if someone can just take all of these APIs and consolidate them into one higher level API. Just wait and see, libopengraphicsthings is going to make 2015 "The Year of the Linux Desktop (TM)."

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
        More great work from the Khronos group. Now if someone can just take all of these APIs and consolidate them into one higher level API. Just wait and see, libopengraphicsthings is going to make 2015 "The Year of the Linux Desktop (TM)."
        Troll? OpenGL ES allowed for mobile gaming to happen. OpenGL was used before Linux existed, and is standard for many operating systems and gaming devices and other applications. These open standards have absolutely done their job in allowing app and game vendors to target multiple patforms economically. The progress of Khronos is linked to the progress of Linux -- both rely on "openness" in various respects -- but the two are not intrinsically linked.

As for consolidating all these APIs: why, exactly? You can use each of them if you need them. And the do interact: the OpenCL/OpenGL interactions allows for some amazing things in games. (I use them together a lot.)

It would be nice to see more cohesion, especially in loading APIs. OpenGL has its own unique and old history that makes it different to integrate compared to the others. I'm sure this will be part of the effort for the "next-gen" open graphics API from Khronos.

Comment

Actually, most people just want IR for shaders and a sub-set of our current API to avoid confusion. Nothing wrong with how OpenGL interacts with the underlying window management or the layer between.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
            Troll? OpenGL ES allowed for mobile gaming to happen. OpenGL was used before Linux existed, and is standard for many operating systems and gaming devices and other applications. These open standards have absolutely done their job in allowing app and game vendors to target multiple patforms economically. The progress of Khronos is linked to the progress of Linux -- both rely on "openness" in various respects -- but the two are not intrinsically linked.

As for consolidating all these APIs: why, exactly? You can use each of them if you need them. And the do interact: the OpenCL/OpenGL interactions allows for some amazing things in games. (I use them together a lot.)

It would be nice to see more cohesion, especially in loading APIs. OpenGL has its own unique and old history that makes it different to integrate compared to the others. I'm sure this will be part of the effort for the "next-gen" open graphics API from Khronos.
            When I said "More great work from the Khronos group", I actually meant it. The rest was just a stupid joke. I'm sorry if I sounded like I was laughing at Khronos' efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
              Originally posted by CTown View Post
              Troll?

Comment

Originally posted by computerquip View Post
                The problem is only a handful of these are implemented by vendors in hardware. OpenGL has a hard time of its own. OpenCL is on the backburner, EGL is just starting and isn't used for it's original intent (I'm not really sure in what context (no pun intended) the description provided in the video could be used). Everything else is generally a third thought, not even a second thought. Even when Something like EGL is heavily adopted, people will still insist on using libraries such as GLX and WGL, even though they both make my cry every time I look at them, making it just as difficult to implement, if not more so.

/rant
                How is OpenCL on the back burner? Please elaborate.

Comment

OpenRL/OpenAL

Its a pitty that they do not have these specs under their umbrella. Moreover, it would be awesome if they could release a HW level API for GFX.

Comment

Working...
                  X