Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 21 Will Support A Lot Of ARM Hardware

Phoronix: Fedora 21 Will Support A Lot Of ARM Hardware

The Fedora ARM team has been doing a great job at testing and seeing a wide-range of ARM development boards and other consumer devices will work with the upcoming Fedora 21 release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds great, except for Cubieboard 3 there will be no video encoding support over the video encoding chip included I am shure.

Not Redhats fault but it sucks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
      Sounds great, except for Cubieboard 3 there will be no video encoding support over the video encoding chip included I am shure.

Google "linux-sunxi Cedrus" and generally don't buy hardware based on cheap SoC with non-so-ever official support.

Get something based on Freescale i.MX6 (I love my Cubox-i) which got Gstreamer plugins for encoding and decoding with the VPU.

Comment

Why don't you get constructively involved in the sunxi community and help out there?

Comment

first I am no driver developer, second not my only problem, have other problems to solve, 3rd my live isnt very solid right now.

And isnt that the job of the hardware vendor? I mean even the proprietary drivers of them dont work extremly well under linux. Not even in Android (with xbmc, even 720p with a bit higher bitrate and it gets a dia show). Ok maybe they have a bad wlan driver for android who knows.

I am not even a good C devleoper focused more on python and more recently a bit on elisp

But if there are no real specs out to make such driver, why would I do 10 times the work because the company is not willing to release them?

Comment

first I am no driver developer, second not my only problem, have other problems to solve, 3rd my live isnt very solid right now.

And isnt that the job of the hardware vendor? I mean even the proprietary drivers of them dont work extremly well under linux. Not even in Android (with xbmc, even 720p with a bit higher bitrate and it gets a dia show). Ok maybe they have a bad wlan driver for android who knows.

I am not even a good C devleoper focused more on python and more recently a bit on elisp

But if there are no real specs out to make such driver, why would I do 10 times the work because the company is not willing to release them?
            If we all just left it to the hw vendor, we would not be here today. There would be no gnu and no linux, no android, no ...

That's a lot of excuses though, maybe you should stop whining.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
              If we all just left it to the hw vendor, we would not be here today. There would be no gnu and no linux, no android, no ...

That's a lot of excuses though, maybe you should stop whining.
              If we all would buy only hardware that works well under Linux that would be way more effective than one guy trying or even 100 guys doing that in their free time.

And I do release opensource software so I dont do nothing. And second do u write drivers and nobody pays u for that?

Comment

If we all would buy only hardware that works well under Linux that would be way more effective than one guy trying or even 100 guys doing that in their free time.

And I do release opensource software so I dont do nothing. And second do u write drivers and nobody pays u for that?
                The only time i got paid for writing a driver, from the second i started to the second i was forced to finish was at SuSE. And even then the broken politics of AMD vs ATI and SuSE vs redhat, and the baseless shitthrowing, were way more mentally and physically taxing than the meagre wage could've ever made up for. It's amazing how much of my life i have invested in graphics drivers, for no return, and yet i still need to listen to peoples stupid, selfish, and above all endless whining.
                Last edited by libv; 13 August 2014, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by libv View Post
                  The only time i got paid for writing a driver, from the second i started to the second i was forced to finish was at SuSE. And even then the broken politics of AMD vs ATI and SuSE vs redhat, and the baseless shitthrowing, were way more mentally and physically taxing than the meagre wage could've ever made up for. It's amazing how much of my life i have invested in graphics drivers, for no return, and yet i still need to listen to peoples stupid, selfish, and above all endless whining.
                  k of course every person or at least every it related person that had programmed some stuff in his live not devleoping one opensource driver in their free time is a bad person.

I even have a mixed moral feeling about hacking for bad companies drivers. when I see the nouvou driver I am not so happy ok some basic support is not bad, but if it would become nearly as good as the amd radeon driver it would be really bad.

Why, what would be the message to companies just ignore this linux asholes, dont help them in any way, close up everything as much as possible and no way u will loose one dollar in selling one less hardware because of your crimes.

Comment

Working...
                  X