Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lenovo X200 Now Works With Coreboot

Phoronix: The Lenovo X200 Now Works With Coreboot

The Lenovo X200 laptop is the latest system being supported by mainline Coreboot...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Core 2 Duo?

What is this? 2007?

Comment

Finally! I can try coreboot on one of my box!

Comment

ME/EC?

"ME/EC" What is this?

Comment

Since coreboot is an alternative of BIOS, does this mean to use coreboot, people will have to flash coreboot on to these boards? And each time coreboot updates, these boards will require a reflash? If that's the case, it sounds like testing coreboot leaves a lot of room for error.

Comment

Originally posted by drSeehas View Post
            "ME/EC" What is this?
            ME:
            Intel's Management Engine
            Handles lots of things related to the BIOS, and allows for some fancy (and creepy) enterprisey-features if your laptop supports VPro. It's more or less a second computer inside your computer dedicated to a small number of things.
            Here's Flashrom's page on the ME: http://flashrom.org/ME
            That plus wikipedia should give you a good background on it.

EC:
            Embedded controller
            This handles lots of power, fan, and temperature stuff for your laptop. It keeps your laptop from frying itself, regulates the fan accordingly, and depending on the model, does backlight / keyboard control.
            Coreboot has a good bit on Embedded controllers, especially in laptops: http://www.coreboot.org/Laptop#Embedded_controllers

Both of these make it hard to support a laptop with Flashrom, let alone Coreboot.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
              Since coreboot is an alternative of BIOS, does this mean to use coreboot, people will have to flash coreboot on to these boards? And each time coreboot updates, these boards will require a reflash? If that's the case, it sounds like testing coreboot leaves a lot of room for error.
              You can get motherboards with dual BIOSes but yes it's risky for most.

Comment

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
                ME ... EC ...
                Thank you very much.
                It would have been nice, if Michael had explained it and not assumed, everyone knows it.

Originally posted by My8th View Post
                You can get motherboards with dual BIOSes ...
                Would USB BIOS Flashback from ASUS help in this case?

Comment

Originally posted by My8th View Post
                  You can get motherboards with dual BIOSes but yes it's risky for most.
                  Wow, I have never heard of those. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Working...
                  X