X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
    https://github.com/ValveSoftware/voglperf

vogl ?

The Witcher 2 also worked quite well with latest nvidia drivers here & an E3-1245 v3, GTX 760 Phantom, kernel 3.16, BFS, BFQ, 1920x1080,

there was some mouse lag & large general lag

the general lag mostly vanished with Motion Blur disabled,

I'll give UberSampling a try & see whether Texture Memory Size Medium makes a differences

crashes mostly happen during shopping, when the character doesn't move fast enough and you'll keep on pressing the button in that direction it was moving towards

sometimes it's crashing almost instantly after having started up and re-loaded, sometimes in some areas

but mostly it seems to be stable - these crashes are probably mostly due to that compatibility layer

haven't had any larger AAA games on Linux so far, besides Metro: Last Light which meanwhile seems rocksolid (beginning to mid-section) on Nvidia, and with Catalyst drivers (had an R9 270X for a short time)

but towards the end (Polis) it crashed always (Nvidia), couldn't get forward [this was on my old box]

the quality of the ports or emulation layers have to improve considerably otherwise there always will be worse stability than on windows

Anyway: I'm confident that CD Projekt RED will do their best to make this a great port or at least "platform transfer"
    Thanks for that. I'll give voglperf a try. Lowering texture memory size was to get around what I believe was (hopefully was, not still is) a memory leak. Lowering texture memory size means the game reserves less vRAM for texture memory, meaning you'll get texture pop in a bit more often, but also frees up vRAM. With texture memory size at max (very large) the game would run fine, but would crash after a while (after the prologue, chapter 1 and onward, this meant 10 to 15 minutes for me back then). Lowering the texture memory size to medium, the game would still crash eventually, but it would take generally about an hour (which is why I think it was a memory leak), so I could comfortably play for 50 minutes or so, save the game, then restart the game and keep playing. Not ideal, but it was a workaround that let me play the game all the way through. Hopefully that's fixed now so the workaround isn't necessary. I won't know until I do a long play session, something I don't have time for at the moment.

Comment

We still need to wait for the threading rework which is not available in this patch yet. Hopefully things will get much better with that.
      Originally posted by Developer
      Note that this doesn't yet include any of our DX9 multithread rework

Comment

If I have any time this week (big project at work that needs to start wrapping up), I'll screw around with some settings and see how well I can get things to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
          We still need to wait for the threading rework which is not available in this patch yet. Hopefully things will get much better with that.
          that was comment for beta 1

30 Jul 2014 15:33 BST

Public Beta 2 - buildID 341339 We have just updated our public beta with the first beta of our new D3D9 engine. This now employs a technique where all OpenGL work is now done by a single worker thread, which the D3D9 engine submits commands to. This means that there is only a single GL context, and this makes management a lot easier for the driver.

Comment

Will have to do some benchmarking, but I think it's safe to say that performance has improved by quite a bit (at least on nvidia drivers 343.13).

It's nowhere near windows performance, but it's somewhere in middle between 'windows performance' and 'unplayable pre-update performance'.
            I i think im getting 40-50 frames per second at lowest setting and laptop resolution (on windows im getting same framerate, but on 1920x1200).

Good job EON.

Next time they might bring at least this kind of performance into initial port, eh.

Comment

Next time they might bring at least this kind of performance into initial port, eh.
              Or they may realize trying to emulate a modern engine through some proprietary wrapper is not gaming grade.

Next time, just do the native port. Civ 5 and Metro got native ports that worked great from day one.

Comment

Still awfully slow on a 7950 HD.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
                  Will have to do some benchmarking, but I think it's safe to say that performance has improved by quite a bit (at least on nvidia drivers 343.13).

It's nowhere near windows performance, but it's somewhere in middle between 'windows performance' and 'unplayable pre-update performance'.
                  I i think im getting 40-50 frames per second at lowest setting and laptop resolution (on windows im getting same framerate, but on 1920x1200).

Good job EON.

Do you think the eon version is matching wine's ?

Comment

I'm no longer playing Steam games in Linux (back to good old Slackware64 now that it's got a more modern graphics stack) but ironically, even though it used a DirectX wrapper rather than being completely native, The Witcher 2 was one of the better games for me (relatively speaking). No, performance and the graphics settings I was able to use did indeed suck compared to how nice the game is in Windows, but it was playable, looked half decent, didn't crash or freeze once, or annoy me with glitchy behaviour. That's more than I can say for some of those other shit assed games. I do commend Valve for having a good job done on porting the Source Engine games though, but... boring. (e.g. once you've played the half life games half to death twice, it's time to leave them alone for a while, and killing zombies gets old fast, for me)

I haven't tried it with this update (it's been a month or so). I hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Pseus View Post
                      wrong.
                      your source is from 09 Jul 2014 17:46 BST == beta 1
                      The threaded rework was introduced at 30 Jul 2014 15:33 BST == beta 2

Comment

Working...
                      X