Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acer's Latest Chromebook Should Be Quite Powerful & Attractive

Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    not worth dealing with the headaches of using arm
    I actually have to agree. I'll have to wait and see if ARM can get their JavaScript performance up to part with Intel's offerings at the same performance per Watt. Right now, x86 consumes more (not a lot more) but still more power when not really doing anything. That being said, when it has to do something, it consumes less power and gets it done quicker than ARM. Maybe ARM will one day overcome x86 and we'll all have to use some sort of compatibility layer for the older x86 programs. In the meantime, I'll stick with my x86.

Quote Originally Posted by SyXbiT View Post
    What benchmarks are you looking at? It doesn't smash the i3. In fact, it loses on EVERY benchmark to the i3. And that's the heatsink/fan cooled K1, not a passively cooled K1.
    It does beat the Atom chips in the benchmark, but it's nowhere near an i3.
    Is there performance difference if it is cooled with Y or Z

Quote Originally Posted by dungeon View Post
    Is there performance difference if it is cooled with Y or Z
    I assume he's referring to overheating which can cause throttling.

Man, I wish this was x86. I'd love a nice 13" 1080p netbook.

"those with extra time on their hands"

Come on Michael, Phoronix wouldn't exist without those people, show some respect :P

Quote Originally Posted by curaga View Post
    "those with extra time on their hands"

Come on Michael, Phoronix wouldn't exist without those people, show some respect :P
    LOL! My hat off to you, thank you for the laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by peppercats View Post
    Would have immediately bought this to replace my c720 but the arm processor killed it for me.
    OT question (concerning the C720):
    Do you run Linux on it, or keep it stock (w/ or w/o crouton)?
    In case you're running Linux, which distribution?

- Gilboa
    DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB, GTX780, F20/x86_64, Dell U2711.
    SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F20/x86_64, Dell U2412..
    BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F20/x86-64.
    LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F20/x86_64.

Finally saw the new Chromebook 13 availabe here for 300 euro (with vat). Time to retire the old x86 Acer after a long service and move on to a better battery and passive cooling.

Any advice on a good distro for the Chromebook 13? Ubuntu 14.04? Linux4Tegra (yet another ubuntu?) Something else?

Default Recommended distro

Quote Originally Posted by darkblu View Post
    Finally saw the new Chromebook 13 availabe here for 300 euro (with vat). Time to retire the old x86 Acer after a long service and move on to a better battery and passive cooling.

Any advice on a good distro for the Chromebook 13? Ubuntu 14.04? Linux4Tegra (yet another ubuntu?) Something else?
    I've had the Jetson TK1 since early May. It runs L4T (Linux for Tegra) which is a lightly tweaked Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and uses the same repositories. It runs very well with KDE and 2GB of ram, although I'd go with the 4GB model. Gimp, Libreoffice, my USB Logitech webcam all work great. I would start there, since various bug have already been worked out and it's freely available from NVidia. Not sure how to boot it, although someone has probably already figured that out.

Quote Originally Posted by deppman View Post
    I've had the Jetson TK1 since early May. It runs L4T (Linux for Tegra) which is a lightly tweaked Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and uses the same repositories. It runs very well with KDE and 2GB of ram, although I'd go with the 4GB model. Gimp, Libreoffice, my USB Logitech webcam all work great. I would start there, since various bug have already been worked out and it's freely available from NVidia. Not sure how to boot it, although someone has probably already figured that out.
    Thanks a bunch. After some googling it seems that it's possible to get 14.04LTS chrooted on the Chromebook 13 via Crouton.

Cheers!

So did anyone actually use some distro on the Chromebook 13 yet? Experiences? Do graphic card drivers already exist and work as they should? How's the performance?