Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
    not worth dealing with the headaches of using arm
    I actually have to agree. I'll have to wait and see if ARM can get their JavaScript performance up to part with Intel's offerings at the same performance per Watt. Right now, x86 consumes more (not a lot more) but still more power when not really doing anything. That being said, when it has to do something, it consumes less power and gets it done quicker than ARM. Maybe ARM will one day overcome x86 and we'll all have to use some sort of compatibility layer for the older x86 programs. In the meantime, I'll stick with my x86.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
      What benchmarks are you looking at? It doesn't smash the i3. In fact, it loses on EVERY benchmark to the i3. And that's the heatsink/fan cooled K1, not a passively cooled K1.
      It does beat the Atom chips in the benchmark, but it's nowhere near an i3.
      Is there performance difference if it is cooled with Y or Z

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        Is there performance difference if it is cooled with Y or Z
        I assume he's referring to overheating which can cause throttling.

Man, I wish this was x86. I'd love a nice 13" 1080p netbook.

Comment

"those with extra time on their hands"

Come on Michael, Phoronix wouldn't exist without those people, show some respect :P

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            "those with extra time on their hands"

Come on Michael, Phoronix wouldn't exist without those people, show some respect :P
            LOL! My hat off to you, thank you for the laugh!

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
              Would have immediately bought this to replace my c720 but the arm processor killed it for me.
              OT question (concerning the C720):
              Do you run Linux on it, or keep it stock (w/ or w/o crouton)?
              In case you're running Linux, which distribution?

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Finally saw the new Chromebook 13 availabe here for 300 euro (with vat). Time to retire the old x86 Acer after a long service and move on to a better battery and passive cooling.

Any advice on a good distro for the Chromebook 13? Ubuntu 14.04? Linux4Tegra (yet another ubuntu?) Something else?

Comment

Recommended distro

Originally posted by darkblu View Post
                  Finally saw the new Chromebook 13 availabe here for 300 euro (with vat). Time to retire the old x86 Acer after a long service and move on to a better battery and passive cooling.

Any advice on a good distro for the Chromebook 13? Ubuntu 14.04? Linux4Tegra (yet another ubuntu?) Something else?
                  I've had the Jetson TK1 since early May. It runs L4T (Linux for Tegra) which is a lightly tweaked Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and uses the same repositories. It runs very well with KDE and 2GB of ram, although I'd go with the 4GB model. Gimp, Libreoffice, my USB Logitech webcam all work great. I would start there, since various bug have already been worked out and it's freely available from NVidia. Not sure how to boot it, although someone has probably already figured that out.

Comment

Originally posted by deppman View Post
                    I've had the Jetson TK1 since early May. It runs L4T (Linux for Tegra) which is a lightly tweaked Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and uses the same repositories. It runs very well with KDE and 2GB of ram, although I'd go with the 4GB model. Gimp, Libreoffice, my USB Logitech webcam all work great. I would start there, since various bug have already been worked out and it's freely available from NVidia. Not sure how to boot it, although someone has probably already figured that out.
                    Thanks a bunch. After some googling it seems that it's possible to get 14.04LTS chrooted on the Chromebook 13 via Crouton.

Cheers!

Comment

So did anyone actually use some distro on the Chromebook 13 yet? Experiences? Do graphic card drivers already exist and work as they should? How's the performance?

Comment

Working...
                      X