Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acer's Latest Chromebook Should Be Quite Powerful & Attractive

Phoronix: Acer's Latest Chromebook Should Be Quite Powerful & Attractive

Acer has introduced its newest Chromebook today and it's powered by the mighty powerful Tegra K1 SoC...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So the 64bit arm SOCs start to roll out. Excellent. The fun question now is: what's the state/status of the gpu drivers, compatibility of nouveau, etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by bnolsen View Post
      So the 64bit arm SOCs start to roll out. Excellent. The fun question now is: what's the state/status of the gpu drivers, compatibility of nouveau, etc.?
      Nope, I think this is the worse of the two Tegra K-1 chips. It's a quad core A15
      It seems really stupid that Nvidia is calling both the A15, and their 64-bit SoC have the same name.

Comment

Would have immediately bought this to replace my c720 but the arm processor killed it for me.

Comment

Why?

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
          Would have immediately bought this to replace my c720 but the arm processor killed it for me.
          Just curious ... why? The quad core A15's have been shown to trade blows with lower-power i3's. And the Kepler graphics are generally better than anything you'd see on other Chromebooks.

I run Ubuntu 14.04 on my Jetson TK1, and it's blazingly fast - faster on most tasks than my 2.7Ghz i7 laptop! - and certainly a lot cooler and efficient. There are only a few areas where x86 compatibility is a hassle (Flash, primarily, some DRM). Chrome OS solves these issues.

Comment

So the question becomes:

what wifi vendor provides the wireless nic? Its AC, so it is probably broadcom, which means its a garbage pos under non-Google Linux. I'd want to know if it is an accessible mini pcie slot so I could replace it.

Also looks like no sd card slot, which is retarded, but par for the course.

At least there is a 32GB model. My Arch /usr takes up 13.3GB right now on my main desktop, so that would be cutting it close. But then paying $80 for 16GB because Acer is a fuck that won't make the storage replaceable is insane.

Why the hell is nobody making a low cost ARM Ubuntu notebook like this? Just include an sd card slot (an internal 2.5" or msata drive bay would be glorious but unlikely), 64 or 128GB of flash instead of the paltry 16 or 32 chromebooks have, the same 1080p panels, for $400? I'd be all over that like butter on toast.

Also, when K1 runs under Nouveau then I'll fathom buying an Nvidia product again. Otherwise fuck em.
            Last edited by zanny; 11 August 2014, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deppman View Post
              Just curious ... why? The quad core A15's have been shown to trade blows with lower-power i3's. And the Kepler graphics are generally better than anything you'd see on other Chromebooks.

I run Ubuntu 14.04 on my Jetson TK1, and it's blazingly fast - faster on most tasks than my 2.7Ghz i7 laptop! - and certainly a lot cooler and efficient. There are only a few areas where x86 compatibility is a hassle (Flash, primarily, some DRM). Chrome OS solves these issues.
              not worth dealing with the headaches of using arm

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
                So the question becomes:

what wifi vendor provides the wireless nic? Its AC, so it is probably broadcom, which means its a garbage pos under non-Google Linux. I'd want to know if it is an accessible mini pcie slot so I could replace it.

Also looks like no sd card slot, which is retarded, but par for the course.

At least there is a 32GB model. My Arch /usr takes up 13.3GB right now on my main desktop, so that would be cutting it close. But then paying $80 for 16GB because Acer is a fuck that won't make the storage replaceable is insane.

Why the hell is nobody making a low cost ARM Ubuntu notebook like this? Just include an sd card slot (an internal 2.5" or msata drive bay would be glorious but unlikely), 64 or 128GB of flash instead of the paltry 16 or 32 chromebooks have, the same 1080p panels, for $400? I'd be all over that like butter on toast.

Also, when K1 runs under Nouveau then I'll fathom buying an Nvidia product again. Otherwise fuck em.
                it has an SD card slot, and where did you read the storage isn't replaceable?

also, according to this http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._preview&num=1 the i3 330m smashes the tegra k1, and the i3 330m/2955u are pretty equal.
                Last edited by peppercats; 11 August 2014, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
                  it has an SD card slot, and where did you read the storage isn't replaceable?

also, according to this http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._preview&num=1 the i3 330m smashes the tegra k1, and the i3 330m/2955u are pretty equal.
                  What benchmarks are you looking at? It doesn't smash the i3. In fact, it loses on EVERY benchmark to the i3. And that's the heatsink/fan cooled K1, not a passively cooled K1.
                  It does beat the Atom chips in the benchmark, but it's nowhere near an i3.

Comment

Originally posted by SyXbiT View Post
                    What benchmarks are you looking at? It doesn't smash the i3. In fact, it loses on EVERY benchmark to the i3. And that's the heatsink/fan cooled K1, not a passively cooled K1.
                    It does beat the Atom chips in the benchmark, but it's nowhere near an i3.
                    I said the i3 smashes the K1, and the 2955u(which is in the c720) is similar to the i3 330m.

Comment

Working...
                    X