Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Starts Shipping Core M Broadwell-Y 14nm Chips

Phoronix: Intel Starts Shipping Core M Broadwell-Y 14nm Chips

Intel passed along word that they've begun shipping their Core M Broadwell-Y chips...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by Phoronix
    The 14nm Core M Broadwell-Y chips should come in at about half the power use of similarly equipped Broadwell chips
    I think there is a typo : shouldn't the second Broadwell be Haswell ?

It will be interesting to see what this hardware will be capable of... But I guess it will be at least as expensive as their other processors, which is a downside for me.

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
      I think there is a typo : shouldn't the second Broadwell be Haswell ?

It will be interesting to see what this hardware will be capable of... But I guess it will be at least as expensive as their other processors, which is a downside for me.
      Typo, fixed. Thanks.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

One of the bigger questions, I believe, is whether (or when) these wonderful in-die GPU's will be good enough to ditch dedicated cards. I think they kind of are there if you are willing to play games at 740p, and definitely are more than enough for 2D, these days, with Haswell

It looks like Broadwell will be roughly 40% faster than Haswell :

Now, it is clear that even a $150 dedicated GPU is today several times faster than the fastest Haswell GPU. It would take about 3 to 4 iterations of 40% increases to reduce the gap to a more reasonable shortfall.

But for a chromebook standard resolution, you can play most steam games at moderate detail, fullscreen, even with the Sandy Bridge celeron haswell in the acer c710, i am sure the newer acer c720 with an i3 Haswell and 4GB Ram will make for beautiful portable "steam machines".

Broadwell will obviously make things better. It is just for the very high resolution high detail gaming that you will need a dedicated GC for desktops/laptops.

Comment

Working...
        X