Microsoft Joins The Khronos WebGL Working Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sdack View Post
    You are funny troll. Just because Microsoft did a bit of this and a bit of that does it not make them great, nor does it make others bad. I have no idea what you want with my credibility, or what you want to use it for as I think you are just looking for another idol who you can look up to. Perhaps do not start with it in the first place. To then somehow claim Apple was not great at innovating new things just shows how little you want to give anyone any credit in the first place. So cheer up. You suck and you do not have a clue. You are just ranting over nothing and nobody wants to read this. It is going to take a while before you get this.
    Or more like I just proved you're full of shit, and you've got nothing to fall back on for your Apple revisionist history that wants to claim that Apple innovated everything and that companies like Commodore and Palm just plain didn't exist and that Microsoft, RIM, Nokia, and Google are just follow-ons to their oh so brilliant innovations.

Good bye Apple Fanboy
    Last edited by Luke_Wolf; 11 August 2014, 08:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
      Whelp you just lost all credibility, as you rather clearly know nothing about either company if that's what you think.
      Please don't start that discussion since it's never ending.
      I could say that Digital with VMS had another way of looking at windows NT then "Microsoft on the other hand developed an entirely new OS that operates on it's own novel design called NT"
      Also there was the Amiga - Atari war from users and Atari was better for audio since it had better midi but the amiga was better on almost everything else if i remember correctly.
      I guess that you are young and don't remember that Microsoft has been accused for doing the exact same thing that you say that apple does.
      It's a shitty business and every one steals since that how software evolve with multiple ideas put together.
      But this is total OT so please keep to the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        Yea, plus today's Microsoft is no longer headed by Ballmer. I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt here.
        Likewise, though less because of the changes in management, and more because of the changes in environment. It's foolish to assume that the Microsoft of today will continue with the exact same tactics they used twenty years ago. Circumstances have changed, they've lost a lot of their old dominance, and a consequence, they can't keep doing the same old thing. I'm not claiming they're now going to play nice, but it's a mistake to assume their tactics are unchanged.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
          Or more like I just proved you're full of shit, and you've got nothing to fall back on for your Apple revisionist history that wants to claim that Apple innovated everything and that companies like Commodore and Palm just plain didn't exist and that Microsoft, RIM, Nokia, and Google are just follow-ons to their oh so brilliant innovations.

Good bye Apple Fanboy
          No. It will take some time before you understand it. Until then do you need to fall a few more times onto your nose before you realize that your way of thinking and arguing is not going to get taken serious by anyone. You do not take yourself serious either, do you?

Here are some indicators for you to consider until the time you do:

- You want to be the White Knight for Microsoft on a website, which is targeted mostly and the Linux/Unix community. This makes you a fool.

- You do not understand how Microsoft has achieved their success, but still only see the world as good and evil, and so all you see here is talk of conspiracy theories. This makes you dumb.

- You start another comment where you begin with talking about credibility, showing that this is what is most important to you like the Likes on some website or how many friends you have on facebook. This makes you an idiot.

- You know about the success of Apple, but do not want to admit it nor give them credit for it, and rather try to discredit them just to somehow have a point here. This shows your false bride.

- You derail into the history of Commodore, who have failed and who nobody cares about anymore just like nobody cares about who invented fire or who invented the wheel when it is all just a thing of the past. This makes you a kid.

It will take a long time before I believe anything you write here. But... you are entertaining.
          Last edited by sdack; 11 August 2014, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-L View Post
            Given their market share, if they wanted to disrupt WebGL, they wouldn't have a way to do it. D3DForWebClient would not stand a chance and probably could have made Windows Phone 8(.x) less used than it is now. And there is not enough IE share to make the change worth of the headaches, because the most used Internet Explorer versions are not the lastest's in most statistics.
            Since when is WebGL a phone-based technology? On the desktop, IE still commands 50%+, and that's where it's being used.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Since when is WebGL a phone-based technology? On the desktop, IE still commands 50%+, and that's where it's being used.
              IE commanding? Ha, funny joke. Maybe you are talking about anything WebKit/Blink based, but Internet Explorer? Cool history bro.

Since when anything besides OpenGL (and any *GL) is available to other than Windows based O.S? That was not what I was talking about, I said that given the current market share, which clearly is not 50% for IE; going for Direct3D on Internet Explorer instead of OpenGL/WebGL would do more harm than good for the company.

Also, the problem is not that IE has whatever market share, the problem is that MOST of the market share is coming for OLD versions of the browser, in which any improvement that Microsoft can do in the future is not going to land on top of, anything from now on is exclusive to IE 12, a long time to go.

Comment

Hopefully this will improve default Opengl support on Windows and we won't need to translate WebGL and OpenGL ES 2.0 to DirectX 9 or DirectX 11 API calls.

Comment

You have a point. No one quite put it together as well as Jobs did... whether he reversed engineered and/or engineered anything better than anyone else or whether it was slapping UNIX instead of J2ME/PalmOS/Symbian on a phone.... or whether it was the slick look of the very first iPhone unlike anything up to that point.... can be debated from here until the day of reckoning. His stuff sold like hotcakes. Not as much anymore given Android's rise and dominance, but still does...

IMHO (or IMNSHO, depending on your viewpoint), despite all of his success, someone like Jobs failed to inspire me with his infinite self-love... or as he liked to call it "believing in yourself." I've infinitely more respect for Linus Torvalds - despite his graphic adoration for NVidia , or Dennis Ritchie - whose passing barely made the press, though without his contribution, where would we be today? BCPL? Assembler? Algol?... or even Bill Gates who finally seemed to somehow miraculously pull his head out of his ass after he got married to Melinda as far as who he'd become as a person, than I ever did for Steve Jobs.

I am now ready for my Apple fanboy flogging .

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                  No. It will take some time before you understand it. Until then do you need to fall a few more times onto your nose before you realize that your way of thinking and arguing is not going to get taken serious by anyone. You do not take yourself serious either, do you?

Here are some indicators for you to consider until the time you do:

- You want to be the White Knight for Microsoft on a website, which is targeted mostly and the Linux/Unix community. This makes you a fool.

- You do not understand how Microsoft has achieved their success, but still only see the world as good and evil, and so all you see here is talk of conspiracy theories. This makes you dumb.

- You start another comment where you begin with talking about credibility, showing that this is what is most important to you like the Likes on some website or how many friends you have on facebook. This makes you an idiot.

- You know about the success of Apple, but do not want to admit it nor give them credit for it, and rather try to discredit them just to somehow have a point here. This shows your false bride.

- You derail into the history of Commodore, who have failed and who nobody cares about anymore just like nobody cares about who invented fire or who invented the wheel when it is all just a thing of the past. This makes you a kid.

It will take a long time before I believe anything you write here. But... you are entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-L View Post
                    IE commanding? Ha, funny joke. Maybe you are talking about anything WebKit/Blink based, but Internet Explorer? Cool history bro.

Since when anything besides OpenGL (and any *GL) is available to other than Windows based O.S? That was not what I was talking about, I said that given the current market share, which clearly is not 50% for IE;
                    Which stats are you going by then, because everything I've seen has uniformly had IE over 50%. Take what Ars is reporting, for example, in the global desktop market:

IE: 58%
                    Chrome: 19%
                    Firefox: 16%
                    Safari: 5%
                    Other: 2%

It's really hard for me to see how you are coming to the conclusion that IE still doesn't have a dominant marketshare, and that Webkit/Blink are now dominating things.

Also, the problem is not that IE has whatever market share, the problem is that MOST of the market share is coming for OLD versions of the browser, in which any improvement that Microsoft can do in the future is not going to land on top of, anything from now on is exclusive to IE 12, a long time to go.
                    Even if you only count IE11, which has WebGL support, it has 16% usage by itself. That matches modern Chrome and exceeds modern Firefox - probably around 35% of the total WebGL marketshare. That's certainly not dominant, but it's plenty to allow them to go their own way if they wanted to. It's certainly enough that they aren't forced to follow WebGL or get left in the dust, particularly considering the miniscule number of sites out there that currently use it.
                    Last edited by smitty3268; 12 August 2014, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                      Which stats are you going by then, because everything I've seen has uniformly had IE over 50%. Take what Ars is reporting, for example, in the global desktop market:

IE: 58%
                      Chrome: 19%
                      Firefox: 16%
                      Safari: 5%
                      Other: 2%

It's really hard for me to see how you are coming to the conclusion that IE still doesn't have a dominant marketshare, and that Webkit/Blink are now dominating things.

Even if you only count IE11, which has WebGL support, it has 16% usage by itself. That matches modern Chrome and exceeds modern Firefox - probably around 35% of the total WebGL marketshare. That's certainly not dominant, but it's plenty to allow them to go their own way if they wanted to. It's certainly enough that they aren't forced to follow WebGL or get left in the dust, particularly considering the miniscule number of sites out there that currently use it.

Not sure if you ever viewed the comments section about those market share statistics.

Just look at that...

And to name a few...

Tracks the Usage Share of Search Engines, Browsers and Operating Systems including Mobile from over 5 billion monthly page views.

Comment

Working...
                      X