No announcement yet.

The Khronos Group Is Developing A New Graphics API From The Ground-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice. They should codename it "Torreys Peak" or such Either that or "Mount Meeker".

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
      Not sure if I believe you there!
      Ok.

If you do want me to stand up for OpenGL (even in its current form): it is *still* the only...

- cross-platform (ahem... Metal)
      - cross-vendor (ahem.. Mantle)
      - backwardly compatible
      - currently available (ahem... DX12)
      - vaguely open
      - fully featured
      - available as FOSS on Linux

...API currently available.
      It's true what you say, however that contributes zero to developer experience or technical superiority.
      I think we all agree that nowadays you must keep developers happy to be successful.

I'll admit that I have only poked around 3d as a developer (really simple FPS stuff) -but I didn't find OpenGL as an API all that hard to deal with. I'll take your word for it that the advanced stuff is a disaster compared to DX11.
      You don't need to go very advanced really... Shader compilation is a mess all by itself, so is multithreading and more (plenty of info out there).

Still, as long as my list of requirements above is met, I don't mind if they rebadge Mantle/Metal/DX12 as OpenGL 5.
      I would hope they rename it to something new to avoid search engines hitting old docs. It will probably be a whole new API anyway...

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
      Considering how well it has done on every platform, it is far from fail.

However, it's very fragmented which makes Direct3D a lot more appealing to people developing on Windows because it is much more streamlined/locked down.
      I can't see how well OpenGL is doing on every platform to be honest... Each platform behaves slightly differently, has a differente subset of the API supported, no consoles are using it etc. Would you mind explaining a little bit better?

Comment

Originally posted by berillions View Post
        If i understand, this new graphic API is beneficial for Linux gamers no ?

After to read the article here : https://www.khronos.org/news/press/k...engl-ecosystem and the comment by Johan Andersson, technical director at Frostbite - Electronic Arts, he said :

Very beautiful dream or not ?
        Isn't that the guy who codeveloped and praised Mantle as being the next big thing and being open and all that crap? What happend to that? Confused.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
          Isn't that the guy who codeveloped and praised Mantle as being the next big thing and being open and all that crap? What happend to that? Confused.
          yes, it is http://www.slideshare.net/DevCentral...ohan-andersson

i'd say this sudden change from Dice comes based on lack of mantle adoption. at beginnings and first presentations it was all about mantle everywhere, which did not happen in one single aspect, to make things worse it turned out as complete opposite. hw vendors went with clear "NO" and to make things even worse amd and their bad marketing made mantle single platform/single vendor solution with last nails in mantle coffin (just few of those: it is Open API... so, where is it? will be/won't be/as gl extensions/won't be/will be guessing game for other platforms)

going with next iteration of OpenGL that has same direction as mantle guarantees all that mantle had and hw/software vendor adoption. it's a win-win situation. simple as that and Dice probably got their money from amd for work on mantle

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            I can pretty much guarantee you that OpenGL isn't going away.

There's way, way, way too much legacy applications out there for that to ever happen.
            Who says that they can't have compatibility with pre-5.0 versions? I mean come on, if they can do it for Directx 11, they can do it for their own stuff!

Wait a minute, if OpenGL 5 is compatible with legacy OpenGL, and Directx 12, maybe vendors will start targeting OpenGL 5 before Directx 12?

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
              Who says that they can't have compatibility with pre-5.0 versions? I mean come on, if they can do it for Directx 11, they can do it for their own stuff!

Wait a minute, if OpenGL 5 is compatible with legacy OpenGL, and Directx 12, maybe vendors will start targeting OpenGL 5 before Directx 12?
              What is this nonsense? How do you think it could ever get dominance without glide support?

Comment

OpenGL 4.5 gives CAD vendors a consumers a lot of robust features but this new spec cuts ties with legacy crap.

Glad AMD and Apple are forcing this change, through their own lower level APIs.

CAD Vendors will have to adapt or just use the old standards.

This goes for Modern Engineering applications like CATIA, ANSYS, ProE/Creo, SolidWorks, etc.

Hell, most of these vendors are still using Libstdc++5 for their c++ library linking.

Comment

Let's not imbibe of the marketing drink too much.

People in Khronos have to at least be smart enough to know how easily public opinion is swayed by repeating various symbolic phrases, and they know it's important to get in on this too.

I don't think we should expect too much from OGL 5.0.

And the idea that CAD people are going to be left in the dust is hilarious. They left game shops in the dust years ago.

Comment

i think these 2 slides answer many questions here, but most importantly
                    - precompiled shaders with common cross platform compiler... probably most b1tched feature in gl
                    - enhanced conformance testing with streamlined api... i guess this spells end of extensions like they are and deprecates "yea, but mine does this"

if they beat dx12 to the punch, then we might see really high adoption rate

Comment

I hope this time around we'll only have open source implementation and no binary BS.

Comment

Working...
                      X