The Khronos Group Is Developing A New Graphics API From The Ground-Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
    Gallium isn't a graphics API. It's an architecture for writing drivers. Nothing more.
    My apologies. I should have been more explicit I guess. Gallium state tracker and intermediate shader language are modeled after DX10.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
        My apologies. I should have been more explicit I guess. Gallium state tracker and intermediate shader language are modeled after DX10.
        Yes that's correct. I hope that with the new API there won't be as much variation in terms of performance and quality/correctness between vendor drivers anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by gamerk2 View Post
          So...OGL 3.0 is finally getting released?
          Indeed.

I pretty much read this article as a middle finger to all those CAD devs who went apesh*t when Khronos wanted to break backwards compatibility.

I approve of this new venture.

Comment

Originally posted by My8th View Post
            Hopefully the new API and Webgl/Opengl ES are kept in sync better than how it is currently.
            Hopefully the new API wont be in sync with the legacy stuff ever (hope I dint misunderstood what you meant).
            Its time for a clean-sheet approach, a compromise with OpenGL will lead to big discussions and delays and I cant imagine it helping in any way whatsoever. Building a Legacy OpenGL layer on top of it should be feasible though and completely unrelated to the design of the API.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
              Hopefully the new API wont be in sync with the legacy stuff ever (hope I dint misunderstood what you meant).
              Its time for a clean-sheet approach, a compromise with OpenGL will lead to big discussions and delays and I cant imagine it helping in any way whatsoever. Building a Legacy OpenGL layer on top of it should be feasible though and completely unrelated to the design of the API.
              Yea sorry I meant newer versions of Webgl and ES based on the new API, not old legacy stuff.

Comment

I'm afraid free drivers will poorly support this for a while, but the case is even more so for free games…

Comment

So, now that Khronos finally recognized that OpenGL is currently a big fail, everybody's suddenly happy to acknowledge that too?

Where are the people that used to defend OpenGL with all their teeth when devs criticized it?

on-topic: it should be far less work for drivers to support this API compared to OpenGL.

Comment

Originally posted by GT220 View Post
                    This is the final nail in the coffin for that Vendor B proprietary API that only works on their hardware.
                    Yay ot the cofin by make it core of the standard, Apple certaily would probably suport it since it should be pretty near their api matal, if you trust an ea dev guru. And it is already not hw dependent and should work even on older NV gpus, than the AMD ones.

Comment

Originally posted by mdias View Post
                      So, now that Khronos finally recognized that OpenGL is currently a big fail, everybody's suddenly happy to acknowledge that too?

Where are the people that used to defend OpenGL with all their teeth when devs criticized it?

on-topic: it should be far less work for drivers to support this API compared to OpenGL.
                      Well, the people defending OGL with "all their teeth" usually try to point at that CURRENTLY OpenGL performs on par with Direct3D for CURRENT requirements. Many devs are too lazy and ignorant to understand that D3D != OGL and writing wrappers is not trivial and not the easier way to add OGL support for existing D3D software. Differences betwen D3D and OGL are not per se design flaws and weaknesses of OGL. I never heared about a guy claiming OGL is good enough for the future as it is.

Comment

Working...
                      X