Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: AMD A10-7800 & A6-7400K APUs Run Great On Linux

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,092

    Default AMD A10-7800 & A6-7400K APUs Run Great On Linux

    Phoronix: AMD A10-7800 & A6-7400K APUs Run Great On Linux

    At the end of July AMD launched new Kaveri APU models: the A10-7800, A8-7600, and A6-7400K. AMD graciously sent over review samples on their A10-7800 and A6-7400K Kaveri APUs, which we've been benchmarking and have some of the initial Linux performance results to share today.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=20741

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    121

    Default Benchmark is to compare vs the competence. Isn't it?

    Intel vs AMD please, as easy as that and priice / performance too

    And if it is intel vs AMD vs ARM vs (future) IBM PPC even better

    So, said that, as it is great on Linux ...

    How many pre installed GNU/Linux or Chrome OS machines (over 100 with Intel SoCs) will we see with this APUs?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Benchmark is to compare vs the competence. Isn't it?
    Which competence? Intel does not have blob driver, this test is with fglrx driver used .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    149

    Default

    With catalyst 14.6 which is definetly fine and a usable driver i do not reget buying an A10-7850K anymore.
    Hopefully Metro Redux will run as smooth as the orginial!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    MA, USA
    Posts
    1,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitcoes View Post
    Intel vs AMD please, as easy as that and priice / performance too

    And if it is intel vs AMD vs ARM vs (future) IBM PPC even better

    So, said that, as it is great on Linux ...

    How many pre installed GNU/Linux or Chrome OS machines (over 100 with Intel SoCs) will we see with this APUs?
    It doesn't seem like Michael gets a whole lot of server hardware handouts. He would likely have to go out of his way to buy a case and motherboard if he were to get a free PPC CPU, and I don't think IBM cares enough.

    ARM typically isn't worth comparing, unless he does a cortex A15.

  6. #6

    Default

    So the 7850K wasn't using the AMD suggested DDR3 2400...

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mitcoes View Post
    Intel vs AMD please, as easy as that and priice / performance too

    And if it is intel vs AMD vs ARM vs (future) IBM PPC even better

    So, said that, as it is great on Linux ...

    How many pre installed GNU/Linux or Chrome OS machines (over 100 with Intel SoCs) will we see with this APUs?
    The only ARM chip that would even be semi comparable in terms of raw performance would be the $3000 64-bit ARM Cortex-A57 based AMD Opteron A1100 server development board http://www.eweek.com/servers/amd-lau...loper-kit.html Which is a really nice looking piece of ARM hardware, better then anything else you'll find on the market, but it's not a mass production piece of equipment and at it's price, well outside of the price range of the X86 APU market.

    Intel chips with a comparable GPU to AMD's APUs are generally much more expensive and lack the ability to make use of HSA for better OpenCL acceleration like AMD and ARM SoCs can.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    It doesn't seem like Michael gets a whole lot of server hardware handouts. He would likely have to go out of his way to buy a case and motherboard if he were to get a free PPC CPU, and I don't think IBM cares enough.

    ARM typically isn't worth comparing, unless he does a cortex A15.
    IBM PPC hardware is also WAY outside the price range and outside of the general usage scenario of these APUs. You only see POWER kit in big servers and high end workstations and they are big power hungry beasts designed for very high throughput over maximum processing capability. I.E. the single core performance isn't that great, but it doesn't have to be as it capable of splitting the work up better with fewer bottlenecks then other kit.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Porto
    Posts
    246

    Default no intel vs m

    lol wh is this? no intel? ofc not if michael puts some intel cpu benchmark against this amd apu... intel cpu simply crush the apu

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rikkinho View Post
    lol wh is this? no intel? ofc not if michael puts some intel cpu benchmark against this amd apu... intel cpu simply crush the apu
    As said in the article, those results are still coming...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •