Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It's Now Possible To Play Netflix Natively On Linux Without Wine Plug-Ins

Default It's Now Possible To Play Netflix Natively On Linux Without Wine Plug-Ins

Phoronix: It's Now Possible To Play Netflix Natively On Linux Without Wine Plug-Ins

Going back for a few years it's been possible to play Netflix movies on Linux using some hacks like with running Microsoft Silverlight on a modified version of Wine. More recently, Pipelight has been working out well as a easy-to-use solution for getting Netflix movies to play on Linux web-browsers, albeit it's still not a native experience. Fortunately, times are quickly changing...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc1ODY

One of the criticisms was that this html5 video drm requires again some proprietary platform dependent module that is provided by the drm provider.

So... does it also work on other architectures like ARM?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXY View Post
    One of the criticisms was that this html5 video drm requires again some proprietary platform dependent module that is provided by the drm provider.

So... does it also work on other architectures like ARM?
    I don't think chrome is available for ARM, only chromium...

Will there be some option to include (maybe as extension) that drm blob into chromium?

I was able to play netflix on my ARM chromebook for some time now (actually it always worked, but netflix has been available for less than a year now). That's the biggest reason I didn't know netflix did not work on plain linux with plain chrome.

blocking content basead on user agent?
    just WHY??

Is there a user agent switcher for Chrome(ium) like there is for Firefox?

Quote Originally Posted by doom_Oo7 View Post
    I don't think chrome is available for ARM, only chromium...
    And to elaborate on your response, I'm pretty sure Chromium doesn't support any proprietary features.

Anyway, I heard Firefox is also supposed to gain this same DRM support. I wonder how their progress on that is going. Either way, this is great news. I don't have a Netflix account, partially because I knew I'd have to use stuff like pipelight to get it to work. Once both Chrome and Firefox support Netflix without any special tricks, I may consider getting an account. At the moment I don't really have time to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidtbag View Post
    And to elaborate on your response, I'm pretty sure Chromium doesn't support any proprietary features.
    Of course it does. Pepperflash is proprietary, and the PDF plugin used to be too. Both work with Chromium. Widevine (Google's DRM platform) is, like Flash and PDF, a Pepper plugin. Someone should try this - download and unpack Chrome, copy libwidevinecdm.so and libwidevinecdmadapter.so into Chromium's directory (usually /usr/lib/chromium), then check about:plugins to see if Widevine is listed there.

Unhappy

Just tried it out, got Error Code: M7063-1913