Thread: The State Of Wayland For Fedora 21

Default The State Of Wayland For Fedora 21

Phoronix: The State Of Wayland For Fedora 21

Matthias Clasen of Red Hat shared a status update about Wayland on Fedora 21 today, the first day of this year's Flock conference...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc1NjQ

FFS the video quality is worse than recording with a recent iPhone, and the audio sucks like it's the 1950's

Yes, its really sad how people dont know how to use technologies... Look at camrips of movies - they are all at very low quality and low res, like 320x500, they all look like they were shot with technologies from 70's, while even a stupid android and iphone phone can shot video in better quality and better res....

Yeah quality was really bad, esp. audio, would have watched otherwise.

OT:
    *Really* nice to finally see wayland making its way into distros, after all this time

Quote Originally Posted by MannerMan View Post
    Yeah quality was really bad, esp. audio, would have watched otherwise.

OT:
    *Really* nice to finally see wayland making its way into distros, after all this time
    Yeah, really. After years of discussion, I'd love to finally see how wayland feels and performs. Not xwayland, but the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by david_lynch View Post
    Yeah, really. After years of discussion, I'd love to finally see how wayland feels and performs. Not xwayland, but the real deal.
    Agree. Exciting times ahead. Not the greatest Fedora fan myself but i'd be sure to try this out.

Quote Originally Posted by david_lynch View Post
    I'd expect there to be bugs for a long time to come. Serious bug squishing can only start once it's usable enough that it starts attracting users. Let's hope the architecture itself is sane, often with new technologies you notice you were missing half of the use cases (that weren't communicated to you earlier) once you think you're ready to roll it out.

Quote Originally Posted by nanonyme View Post
    I'd expect there to be bugs for a long time to come. Serious bug squishing can only start once it's usable enough that it starts attracting users. Let's hope the architecture itself is sane, often with new technologies you notice you were missing half of the use cases (that weren't communicated to you earlier) once you think you're ready to roll it out.
    True but keep in mind Wayland is meant to be extended. And not in a "Well we support extensions so we're fine" sort of way, but in a "The core is as small as possible and everything else, even what we ship, is an extension." So in that case we'd just have history repeat itself. Weston was fine but not quite what was needed, so xdg-shell was made to better support "desktop" use cases. Problem arises, ensued, and were overcome.

Default Audio Fixed

Fixed it. I wasn't able to listen to it with my headset, I'd get extreme ear cancer.