Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockchip Publishes A DRM Driver For Their SoCs

Phoronix: Rockchip Publishes A DRM Driver For Their SoCs

Separate from the new DRM driver to be found in Linux 3.17 that was written about earlier, there's another new DRM driver published this week that has yet to hit the mainline Linux kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Who invented this name, DRM? Every time I see it I think it's something bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Szzz View Post
      Who invented this name, DRM? Every time I see it I think it's something bad.
      I'm not sure, but "Direct Rendering Manager" is an obvious and intuitive name when you look at how it developed.

It's the part of the Direct Rendering Infrastructure (DRI) that Manages access to the GPU so multiple programs can perform "direct rendering" (talking directly to the GPU as opposed to handing everything off to the X server to be drawn) at the same time without stepping on each others toes.

...plus, I believe it's old enough that "copy protection" was what people called Digital Restrictions Management at the time.

Comment

Does this mean an open source user space driver will eventually follow? Not sure if I remember this correctly, but I once read something about kernel drivers not being merged if all user space components using it are only binary blobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
          Does this mean an open source user space driver will eventually follow? Not sure if I remember this correctly, but I once read something about kernel drivers not being merged if all user space components using it are only binary blobs.
          This is modesetting only, which doesn't require an userspace component.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
            This is modesetting only, which doesn't require an userspace component.
            If this is KMS only, why does it have DRM in the title?

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
              If this is KMS only, why does it have DRM in the title?
              Because it is a drm driver.. kms is part of drm. Display-only drm/kms drivers are becoming more common with SoC's, and expect to eventually start seeing some render/gpu-only drm drivers for the gpu side of things (ex. etnaviv/vivante) which would share buffers via dmabuf/prime (+ the new fence stuff) with whichever display-only driver is appropriate for the SoC..

Comment

Uhm, that thing is just a Mali GPU. T764, which, from what I can tell, should work with the *open source* T600 drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by robclark View Post
                  Because it is a drm driver.. kms is part of drm. Display-only drm/kms drivers are becoming more common with SoC's, and expect to eventually start seeing some render/gpu-only drm drivers for the gpu side of things (ex. etnaviv/vivante) which would share buffers via dmabuf/prime (+ the new fence stuff) with whichever display-only driver is appropriate for the SoC..
                  Oh I see, thanks for the explanation.

Comment

Working...
                  X