Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook Is Hiring To Make Linux Networking Better Than FreeBSD

Phoronix: Facebook Is Hiring To Make Linux Networking Better Than FreeBSD

Facebook is hiring another Linux kernel engineer to join its growing kernel team. The goal for the new employee will be to make "the Linux kernel network stack to rival or exceed that of FreeBSD" and carry out other improvements to the Linux network stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Gets hired to improve the Linux network stack, ends up migrating all servers to FreeBSD

Comment

Originally posted by BSDude View Post
      Gets hired to improve the Linux network stack, ends up migrating all servers to FreeBSD
      Only in your wet dreams dude!
      Haters gonna hate, hackers gonna hack, and BSD is gonna suck..

Comment

But the point is there is a demand for Linux even though "FreeBSD's network stack better than Linux' " claim.

Comment

Genuine question, what's so good about BSDs network stack (i.e. what makes it so superior to Linux)?

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
            Genuine question, what's so good about BSDs network stack (i.e. what makes it so superior to Linux)?
            Personally, I don't know anything about FreeBSD.
            But I found an interesting post on Slashdot.

A lot of sysadmins from companies that push a lot of data over lots of connections have blogs about tweaking your OS to handle stuff like 10gb+ of traffic and millions of connections. A lot of these people complain about Linux having strange problems under these loads, and FreeBSD just seems to work...

Comment

Keep dreaming. Linux beat it years ago. That's why companies migrate their servers to Linux and that's why Linux server market share is MUCH higher than BSD:

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Personally, I don't know anything about FreeBSD.
                But I found an interesting post on Slashdot.

http://bsd.slashdot.org/comments.pl?...1&cid=47615685
                It's a trolls post. According to netcraft Linux is much more robust and stable. It always dominates the first ten most reliable servers in their sourvey. This job offer is a joke or comes from a bsd fanboy. Why didn't they choose FreeBSD instead of Linux? The answer is simple: Linux is better.
                Last edited by Guest; 07 August 2014, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                  It's a trolls post. According to netcraft Linux is much more robust and stable. It always dominates the first ten most reliable servers in their sourvey. This job offer is a joke or comes from a bsd fanboy. Why didn't they choose FreeBSD instead of Linux? The answer is simple: Linux is better.
                  well is true BSD can reach higher throughput using a lot less CPU cycles when certain threshold is reached in ultra fast connections with several thousand queues but that is about it, so normally you have BSD in those cases as front end and Linux behind to handle that data.

Comment

My employer uses mostly Linux servers but BSD is used in places because of the BSD implementation of carp (for failover) has been more reliable than the Linux equivalent so far.

Comment

Working...
                    X