Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Facebook Is Hiring To Make Linux Networking Better Than FreeBSD

Quote Originally Posted by profoundWHALE View Post
    The large corporations and businesses that have servers. If I remember correctly, Netflix has FreeBSD servers. Right there you have about 10-20% of internet traffic.
    While netflix apparently does have some FreeBSD servers, it is well known that they have a major investment in Linux infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by david_lynch View Post
    The statements that "Linux is the fastest" and "We want to make it faster" are not mutually exclusive
    If it's fast and the CPU load is still high then there's a problem. That's where I suspect they are targeting. For me, my NAS bottlenecks on Linux and not FreeBSD due to CPU usage because it *is* low-spec'd, but it's not like it's that low. It's just an atom processor, and I'm quite certain atom's are useful in servers due to their low power consumption. I get straight gigabit transfer speeds with FreeBSD with relatively low CPU load, 50 MB/s at the most (on any service) on Linux and CPU load at 100%.
    Last edited by jimbohale; 08-21-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbohale View Post
    If it's fast and the CPU load is still high then there's a problem. That's where I suspect they are targeting. For me, my NAS bottlenecks on Linux and not FreeBSD due to CPU usage because it *is* low-spec'd, but it's not like it's that low. It's just an atom processor, and I'm quite certain atom's are useful in servers due to their low power consumption. I get straight gigabit transfer speeds with FreeBSD with relatively low CPU load, 50 MB/s at the most (on any service) on Linux and CPU load at 100%.
    To be sure, there are further opportunities for optimization in the Linux kernel. BSD has been doing things right for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by david_lynch View Post
    To be sure, there are further opportunities for optimization in the Linux kernel. BSD has been doing things right for many years.
    Which is why I like how it's being done. Rather than them saying 'Linux sucks, use FreeBSD', they are saying 'We are looking to pay someone to increase Linux to the benchmark of being as good as FreeBSD'.