Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Digia To Spin Off Qt Business Into Its Own Company

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,130

    Default Digia To Spin Off Qt Business Into Its Own Company

    Phoronix: Digia To Spin Off Qt Business Into Its Own Company

    Digia has officially announced today they will be spinning off their Qt division into its own company (still wholly-owned by Digia) that will focus exclusively upon Qt development...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc1NTk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Poor Qt, nobody wants to keep you in the same place for long. trolltech->nokia->digia->new company in less than 5 years, right?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    Poor Qt, nobody wants to keep you in the same place for long. trolltech->nokia->digia->new company in less than 5 years, right?
    The article says the new company will be wholy owned by Digia.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default

    This is a good move. Qt deserves a company dedicated to it, and a company dedicated to such an important framework could do well. None of those others felt like a good fit.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseus View Post
    The article says the new company will be wholy owned by Digia.
    I can read. And I did read that. BUT, it says it will be a new company owned by Digia. That still means that it got transfered to a new company, which was my point.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    37

    Default Qt Needs A Reality Check

    Quote Originally Posted by dh04000 View Post
    Poor Qt, nobody wants to keep you in the same place for long. trolltech->nokia->digia->new company in less than 5 years, right?
    I am a big fan of Qt, but there is some trueth to what you say. It's just tough being in the low end framework tool business, but Qt is still loved by a lot of developers and companies. Qt's eco system has gotten stronger not weaker, and with Ubuntu selecting Qt as its next generation framework it will only get stronger.

    One of the biggest problems Qt suffers from is that it is to much technology driven with software guys calling the shots as to where it goes. Being able to put QT /QML on every smart phone and mobile device gets away from Qt's core strength as a cross platform desktop framework. The desktop market may not be as sexy as the mobile market but thats where the money is.

    It bothers me that the head of Qt engineering said in his keynote address at the Qt Developers Conferense that Qt Widgets are done. In software the only finished software is obsolete software. So no more work on the C++ framework ? Qt's strength was always in the big and mission critical app space - Orbital Mechanics, Oil & Gas, CAD, Wall Street, Movies, you get the idea. Maybe I am old school as it is hard to imagine these bigs apps migrating to Javascript. I just can't see a nuclear power plant or glass cockpit running on Javascript.

    Anyway I wish the new Qt company good luck.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCloud View Post
    I am a big fan of Qt, but there is some trueth to what you say. It's just tough being in the low end framework tool business, but Qt is still loved by a lot of developers and companies. Qt's eco system has gotten stronger not weaker, and with Ubuntu selecting Qt as its next generation framework it will only get stronger.

    One of the biggest problems Qt suffers from is that it is to much technology driven with software guys calling the shots as to where it goes. Being able to put QT /QML on every smart phone and mobile device gets away from Qt's core strength as a cross platform desktop framework. The desktop market may not be as sexy as the mobile market but thats where the money is.

    It bothers me that the head of Qt engineering said in his keynote address at the Qt Developers Conferense that Qt Widgets are done. In software the only finished software is obsolete software. So no more work on the C++ framework ? Qt's strength was always in the big and mission critical app space - Orbital Mechanics, Oil & Gas, CAD, Wall Street, Movies, you get the idea. Maybe I am old school as it is hard to imagine these bigs apps migrating to Javascript. I just can't see a nuclear power plant or glass cockpit running on Javascript.

    Anyway I wish the new Qt company good luck.
    nobody really force you to use JavaScript
    you can still do business logic in C++

    they moved from widgets to QML
    it is just like microsoft moved from WINAPI ->MFC -> WPF

    QML is pretty much like WPF
    except you can write JS(some business logic) in QML (nice extension)
    They also add JS compiler and I don't know if it still support runtime compiler. but you get pretty fast code.

    I like QML as it is really nice way how to design UI.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCloud View Post
    It bothers me that the head of Qt engineering said in his keynote address at the Qt Developers Conferense that Qt Widgets are done. In software the only finished software is obsolete software. So no more work on the C++ framework ? Qt's strength was always in the big and mission critical app space - Orbital Mechanics, Oil & Gas, CAD, Wall Street, Movies, you get the idea. Maybe I am old school as it is hard to imagine these bigs apps migrating to Javascript. I just can't see a nuclear power plant or glass cockpit running on Javascript.
    You've misunderstood. Qt is all about C++, and also QML (the Javascript like part) is usually used together with C++ in all but the more simpler apps. What is meant is that Qt Widgets is stable, capable and does not need big new features by itself. Qt Core, Qt Gui and other core modules are continued to be heavily developed and their new features will be used also by Qt Widgets wielding apps. And of course nothing prevents bringing new features to Qt Widgets either, but maybe currently all desktop app developers are happy with the state of Qt 5, as many are porting to it now.

    Correct me if I'm wrong.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    Wow, news of an internal restructuring at a company. Could news be more boring?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    553

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCloud View Post
    I am a big fan of Qt, but there is some trueth to what you say. It's just tough being in the low end framework tool business, but Qt is still loved by a lot of developers and companies. Qt's eco system has gotten stronger not weaker, and with Ubuntu selecting Qt as its next generation framework it will only get stronger.

    One of the biggest problems Qt suffers from is that it is to much technology driven with software guys calling the shots as to where it goes. Being able to put QT /QML on every smart phone and mobile device gets away from Qt's core strength as a cross platform desktop framework. The desktop market may not be as sexy as the mobile market but thats where the money is.

    It bothers me that the head of Qt engineering said in his keynote address at the Qt Developers Conferense that Qt Widgets are done. In software the only finished software is obsolete software. So no more work on the C++ framework ? Qt's strength was always in the big and mission critical app space - Orbital Mechanics, Oil & Gas, CAD, Wall Street, Movies, you get the idea. Maybe I am old school as it is hard to imagine these bigs apps migrating to Javascript. I just can't see a nuclear power plant or glass cockpit running on Javascript.

    Anyway I wish the new Qt company good luck.
    It means they have a technologically superior and easier to use UI toolkit, so for any new functionality they would implement in QML. Since you can embed a Quick frame as a widget in a traditional widgets application, you can still use all that new functionality in a predominantly widgets based program.

    It doesn't mean abandoning C++. You still cannot do direct file IO in QML at all, for example - you only have localstorage. And TBH, the Qt version of localstorage sucks balls compared to the web one. One area of improvement I'd really like to see is implementing an abstraction layer so that array indexing a localstorage object transparently writes the data to disk just like the web version does.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •