Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 Staging Drivers Get Nuked From Linux 3.17

Phoronix: 14 Staging Drivers Get Nuked From Linux 3.17

Over 200,000 lines of code is being removed from the Linux 3.17 kernel in the staging subsystem due to the removal of a bunch of old, unmaintained drivers...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The drivers removed with Linux 3.17 include Crystalhd, Winbond, wlags49_h2, serqt_usb2, dgrp, cxt1e1, tidspbridge, ced1401, frontier, keucr, phison,silicom, and sep. Of that list, the crystalhd driver may be noticeable for Broadcom's Crystal HD audio/video hardware coder
    Big, big, big mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
      Big, big, big mistake.
      Then find a maintainer... While I agree with you in principle (knowing what the hw in question does), getting rid of unmaintained code is more important in the bigger picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Serafean View Post
        Then find a maintainer..
        Not a chance.

I'll just slap Windows on any machine that uses it (where possible). At least Broadcom supports their CrystalHD hardware with official drivers on Windows.

Comment

Hmm... Crystal HD...
          =
          Something tells me that this chipset isn't obsolete.

So why remove it? How long has the so-called "Crystal HD" been out? What's so special about that name other than the fact it does audio/video decoding? What products have Crystal HD in it?

Would Linus Torvalds be happy about the cleanup of crystalhd? I don't know...

Comment

Originally posted by GraysonPeddie View Post
            Hmm... Crystal HD...
            =
            Something tells me that this chipset isn't obsolete.

So why remove it? How long has the so-called "Crystal HD" been out? What's so special about that name other than the fact it does audio/video decoding? What products have Crystal HD in it?

Would Linus Torvalds be happy about the cleanup of crystalhd? I don't know...
            There are rules for drivers in staging which is a experimental part of the kernel. They either have to find a maintainer, get the code cleaned up for the real merge or get removed. This has happened with many drivers before including the Microsoft Hyper V code. There is nothing unusual about it.

Comment

Ah, staging = experimental. That makes sense.

Comment

The in-kernel crystalhd driver is outdated, for example it doesn't support the BCM70015 variant at all, among other things. Everyone using this hardware is probably using an external driver, not the in-kernel one.
                Last edited by Gusar; 05 August 2014, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
                  The in-kernel crystalhd driver is outdated, for example it doesn't support the BCM70015 variant at all, among other things. Everyone using this hardware is probably using an external driver, not the in-kernel one.
                  I know of two existing external repositories for the crystalhd driver:

The LinuxTV repos have not been touched in 21 months, and the yeradis repo has been stagnant for 1 year.

Not a good sign either way.

Unless you can point me to a repo that houses a more up-to-date version of the crystalhd driver?

*the driver sources published on Broadcom's site are painfully obsolete;they won't compile on anything newer than a 3.3 kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                    I know of two existing external repositories for the crystalhd driver:

The LinuxTV repos have not been touched in 21 months, and the yeradis repo has been stagnant for 1 year.

Not a good sign either way.

Unless you can point me to a repo that houses a more up-to-date version of the crystalhd driver?

*the driver sources published on Broadcom's site are painfully obsolete;they won't compile on anything newer than a 3.3 kernel.
                    Stagnant isn't necessarily a bad thing. In some cases, it means "it works".
                    ... which it does.

Comment

Working...
                    X