Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Linux 3.16 Kernel Has Been Released

Phoronix: The Linux 3.16 Kernel Has Been Released

As anticipated, the Linux 3.16 kernel has been released this Sunday afternoon...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Woohoo! waiting eagerly for this to land on arch

Comment

Originally posted by TheOne View Post
      Woohoo! waiting eagerly for this to land on arch
      Code:
      [miffe]
      Server = http://arch.miffe.org/$arch/

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        Code:
        [miffe]
        Server = http://arch.miffe.org/$arch/
        Or just activate the testing repository.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry3D View Post
          Or just activate the testing repository.
          or switch to openSUSE Factory - the new king of the rolling distros

Comment

Switching disro just because your distro doesn't release rc kernel 5 minutes after Linus pushes it is silly.
            If you really want bleeding edge, just use git.
            You might need to spend hour of your time trying to set everything up (configuration, compilation itself takes about 5 minutes at recent hardware) - it really isn't that hard or time consuming.

I mean, updating is this simple:

Code:
            git pull
            make menuconfig
            make
            su -c 'make modules_install && cp arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-git'
            You will have to setup your bootloader to know that kernel is located at /boot/kernel-git, but that's pretty easy, generally.

Comment

Originally posted by tpruzina View Post
              Switching disro just because your distro doesn't release rc kernel 5 minutes after Linus pushes it is silly.
              Missing some humor today?
              I was just joking. Of course, I would not switch a distro for this, too!
              Of course I should have used this smiley - my bad...

Comment

If you really want bleeding edge, just use git.
                but rolling distros are at least tested (openQA) and integrated a bit and they update ALL your software. To compile a kernel etc. yourself also needs more power and quite some time on slower machines. did this only once on my AMD E-350 apu since it needed over 1 hour...

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
                  but rolling distros are at least tested (openQA) and integrated a bit and they update ALL your software. To compile a kernel etc. yourself also needs more power and quite some time on slower machines. did this only once on my AMD E-350 apu since it needed over 1 hour...
                  Sorry but no, if you only compile what you need, it's around one minute or less on i3770k and definitely under 15 min on your Apu..

Comment

You might need to spend hour of your time trying to set everything up (configuration, compilation itself takes about 5 minutes at recent hardware) - it really isn't that hard or time consuming.
                    You mean a build similar to localmodconfig? Because a full build takes easily 15-20 minutes on reasonably powerful hardware.

Comment

Working...
                    X