Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Catalyst 14.6 Does Slightly Better With APITest OpenGL Tests

Phoronix: AMD Catalyst 14.6 Does Slightly Better With APITest OpenGL Tests

Last month I published some benchmarks where NVIDIA slaughtered AMD's Catalyst driver in APITest benchmarks, a set of OpenGL 4.x test cases. While these are just micro-benchmarks of modern OpenGL and designed for showing off potential solutions for problems to leading to lower driver overhead, there's been some improvements within the Catalyst 14.6 Beta on Linux. Up today are some new benchmarks of APITest using the latest AMD and NVIDIA drivers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ha ha ha ha ha ha

On page 1:
    Again, I can't stress enough that this suite was never meant to compare vendor to vendor, but technique to technique. For example....
    Then Michael goes on to show a bunch of benchmarks comparing vendor to vendor...

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
      On page 1:

Then Michael goes on to show a bunch of benchmarks comparing vendor to vendor...

Because AMD PR requested new benchmarks be done from the new driver given the last "slaughtering" article given the new driver...
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Because AMD PR requested new benchmarks be done from the new driver given the last "slaughtering" article given the new driver...
        AMD PR was never the smartest
        are they engineers at all?

is it architecture/hardware related?

Comment

I think it would have been interesting to see the difference between current and previous catalyst, to see the changes.

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
            I think it would have been interesting to see the difference between current and previous catalyst, to see the changes.
            I got an interesting email from Michael A. Marks the technical director for Aspyr Media who built his own steambox and ran some OpenGL tests with interesting results.

still, Graham Sellers is usually realistic unlike most of amd pr machine. hope that future driver improvements he mentioned really work for them. well, it would be good for everyone if they did

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post

still, Graham Sellers is usually realistic unlike most of amd pr machine. hope that future driver improvements he mentioned really work for them. well, it would be good for everyone if they did
              Fully agree!

Unfortunately he does not write on twitter anymore (... or he is on a loooong holiday).

Comment

Originally posted by log0 View Post
                I guess it was exactly this what AMD PR actually intended by the request.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
                  Unfortunately he does not write on twitter anymore (... or he is on a loooong holiday).
                  I miss his posts about OpenGL...

Might be he just busy with SIGGRAPH.
                  Last edited by _SXX_; 30 July 2014, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Does APITest also work with the open drivers ? It'd be interesting to see how they compare in such "exotic" tests against closed source stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X