Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Builder: A New Development IDE Being Built For GNOME

Default Builder: A New Development IDE Being Built For GNOME

Phoronix: Builder: A New Development IDE Being Built For GNOME

GNOME Builder is a new integrated development environment (IDE) being developed for building GNOME applications faster and better...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc1Mjk

Boring.

Handling building your project with automake
    I'd have thought they'd use Meson in a modern project, or at least CMake.

Why not just help improve Eclipse support which already exists for most of these things? Same old FLOSS story

Quote Originally Posted by hubick View Post
    Why not just help improve Eclipse support which already exists for most of these things? Same old FLOSS story
    GNOME Develops for GNOME, as always.

And he quit his job to work on this?

He better hope his savings is fat enough to sustain himself and the project.

Use anjuta was too mainstream i guess because as far as i know anjuta is exactly that, an IDE for Gnome by Gnome and only to Gnome

Default Broken by design

focus around supporting GNOME development with C, Vala, JavaScript, and Python. Builder will focus around GObject Introspection, PerfKit integration, GDB debugging support, memory leak checking with Clang, Git integration support, GSettings support, DBus hooks, and other features
    That is almost as laser-focused as Eclipse is;-)

You can find the slides to the actual presentation here by the way... So what do those say?

Builder is going to be using multiple processes (communicating via D-Bus) and integrate their UIs. Syntax highlighting is going to be offered based on gtk sourceview. Glade, gdb and a lot of other things are going to be integrated. Auto completion might be powered by ctags.

This is a design done by somebody that never used an IDE in earnest before and sits down to implement one:-/

Why am I saying that? A good IDE does understand the code you write. To do so it has a code model for all the languages it supports. That model is what powers refactoring operations (like renaming methods, etc.). It is also what powers the syntax highlighting, the code completion, for code navigation -- and basically everything else! In a good IDE even the commit editor is hooking into the code model so that it can offer to complete function and class names! That is the "integration" in "Integrated Development Environment". Whether or not e.g. the debugger is run in a separate window and/or looks slightly different from the rest of the UI does not matter:-)

Gnome Builder wants to make do without such a code model. In fact the whole architecture of running multiple processes and combine their UIs is rather unsuitable to share a huge and complex datastructure like a code model (which can get several GB in size). That is the reason why all serious IDEs are not using a multi-process approach. All of those are basically single process and plugin based.

This is going to be another anjuta, maybe a bit prettier. I am not going to hold my breath for this one.

I think I'll stay with Kdevelop and QtCreator, which are suitable for generic development.

Quote Originally Posted by gufide View Post
    I think I'll stay with Kdevelop and QtCreator, which are suitable for generic development.
    ahahahaha, almost got me.

Default Re

It's sad, because by this time they should of killed GTK with fire...